Owlhome Flock!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Steampunked, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Steampunked

Steampunked Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    This is just a thread for me to muse about my flock and any potential breeding projects that I get going next year. Mostly, these are all pets.

The Anconas:

Since the Ancona breed is said to originate from Italy, and since these two were born on Halloween, they have Italian Halloween type names:

Lemuria:
    [​IMG]

Festa:
    [​IMG]

Lemuria and Festa are probably sisters, they were hatched together, but I still can barely tell them apart! Festa has a slightly taller comb than Lemuria, and seems to be a bit braver.

Araucana:

Antimony was purchased from someone down the road, but unfortunately brought a nagging cough into the coop. Weeks later, everyone else but her is better, so she's back on her antibiotics again. She's tame and gentle-natured.

Antimony:

[​IMG]

Antimony's best friend is Oricalcum, a 'French Wheaten Maran' who looks a bit dark to me.
    [​IMG]

Candycorn is a bantam Silkie who was born as a runt from a runt egg on Halloween - and yet she's doing really well now, after having to be babied through her first weeks.

[​IMG]

Candycorn is really not sure about Ivan the Terrible's haircut. Ivan was also born on halloween, and like Candycorn, he is a partridge, and rather little. He was nearly blind as his crest was so gigantic, so he had to have it trimmed.

Ivan has the most amazing blue earlobes.

[​IMG]

And unnamed until the gender is worked out, and we know if we're keeping them, is another halloween hatchling:

[​IMG]

Light Sussex:

Flavia and Fulvia are good roman names for hens of a breed from Roman times:

Flavia copped a breeze up the rear every time I tried to photograph her, so I gave up on her dignity:

[​IMG]

Fulvia likes reaching for things a bit too far away from her instead of whatever is in front of her:

[​IMG]

Here is a 'French Wheaten Maran', her name is Oricalcum after the metal. She has adorably fluffy feet, but she looks way too dark to be french wheaten to me.

[​IMG]

Silver Laced Wyandottes:
    The hen at the back is Leadlight, after her lovely feathers, I fear the cockrel at the front is 'Roaster' as to his eventual doom.

[​IMG]

Barred Rocks:

Sweet Poll is a traditional name for someone from the area Barred Rocks came from, and here she is:

[​IMG]

And the last is our flock Rooster, a gentleman called Wellington:

[​IMG]

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    ALL so cute!

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Pretty. I really like the lighting in the photo of Candycorn; it highlights her fluff so nicely. Lovely Barred Rocks. I hope Wellington stays as sweet as he looks in that photo.

4. Steampunked

Steampunked Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks for the kind words!

And right now Wellington will break my heart if he goes mean - he lets me pick him up, carry him, he likes to be stroked...he's a delight. But his hormones haven't hit yet.

Candycorn is kind of my favourite because I was told she wouldn't live, and she was so frail and fragile and slept all the time:

[​IMG]

She was the first born and half the size even as a chick of all the others, but painfully cute.

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Beautiful flock! Love those names as well. Thanks for sharing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by