Oxine, anyone?

happyhens120

Songster
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
Central PA
I suppose I could post this in a couple places, but I'm wondering if anyone uses Oxine for coop maintenance/disinfecting? How do you feel about it? Where can I get some? TSC didn't have any, nor did they even know what I was talking about. Surprise!
Thanks!

We use Oxine AH on our coops, equipment and directly on our birds. We also sell it. $14.75 quart, $24.25 gallon plus shipping. Works wonderfully for disinfecting and sanitizing. It is also OMRI listed for organic use. About the only product that will cure Respiritory Fungal Infections that a lot of people are dealing with this year. You can PM me if you are interested in getting some.

Quote:
I honestly don't know this materials, but I would do my research first to make sure it will not effect the health of my chickens before going any farther.

I have used Oxine, ordered online from Revival Animal Health, activated with citric acid crystals (I think you could substitute crushed Vit. C). Oxine was the only thing that eliminated a bad case of thrush (a tough bacterial infection) from my mare's hoof. Haven't used yet for disinfecting chicken things, but probably will just for waterers, etc. but not facilities, as rustic as things are around here. I think just keeping quarters and bedding extremely dry goes a long ways towards stopping bacteria. It is pricey but you dilute it so a gallon goes a long ways. Not sure about shelf life.

Last edited:
I have done some research on it, and the chemical composition is safe for animals. It actually decomposes down into table salt. It was recommended by the "fine folks" at TSC that I use bleach. I won't use bleach on my children's things, and I don't use Lysol wipes on anything that we are going to eat from or near, so why would I use it on my chickens? I try to be organic and use natural products as much as possible to make it safe for my family.
PamperedPullet... I will be contacting you soon!
smile.png

At one time I was a bleach freak, but now I use Oxine. Everywhere. I put a few drops in the hens' water founts every time I refill - it keeps the water fresh and prevents slime and general nastiness. I use Oxine / water mixture to clean the coop, nesting boxes and roosts. I also keep a spray bottle of water / Oxine on my kitchen counter and spray bottles in the bathrooms - quick and complete disinfecting.

Oxine is much more effective than bleach and completely safe for humans and animals if used without the activating crystals. Respirators are required if activating crystals are used in conjunction with a fogger (at least that's what I understand, I could be wrong).

Here's an excellent article that will answer many of your questions: http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm

Quote:
My Oxine was just delivered a few minutes ago from Revival ... and now I need some help.
I did read that article before buying.
I have 15 very healthy chickens. A very clean 8x8 coop and clean, sand, 16x8 run.
Yes I am picky when it comes to poop ...
After reading the article it sounds like I can use it diluted in a spray bottle to simply spray around the coop w/out removing anything. Correct??
Do I spray around the run as well? I sprinkle DE everywhere once a week. Love that stuff.
How much per gallon of water for sprayer?

I change their water, another one of my picky actions, at least twice a day.
Would 1/8 teaspoon per gallon be okay for everyday?

Sounds like really good stuff. I'm happy to start spraying my shoes, even though we don't go in the house with chicken shoes.

6chick*start :

After reading the article it sounds like I can use it diluted in a spray bottle to simply spray around the coop w/out removing anything. Correct??
Do I spray around the run as well? I sprinkle DE everywhere once a week. Love that stuff.
How much per gallon of water for sprayer?

I change their water, another one of my picky actions, at least twice a day.
Would 1/8 teaspoon per gallon be okay for everyday?

Sounds like really good stuff. I'm happy to start spraying my shoes, even though we don't go in the house with chicken shoes.

@6chick*start - A couple of times a week I soak the roosts and just mist the nest boxes. I don't soak the nest boxes because I keep DE in the bedding and don't want it wet. Poop that ends up anywhere I don't want it (such as the wall) gets scrubbed off with the spray mixture. I don't spray the run.

The shagbark article recommends 1/8 tsp (or .5ml) Oxine per gallon in drinking water. I double this ratio for my spray bottles - I use a 1ml syringe for measuring the Oxine, so I add .25ml of Oxine to the water in a 32 ounce sprayer.​

Last edited:
I was using bleach in all of my coops, houses and stalls but now with all of the reviews on Oxine, looks like that is what I will be switching to. Where can we get Oxine for the BEST PRICE?

Back
Top Bottom