Oxine - Particle size needed for inhalation??

If it was an ultrasonic humidifier, the Oxine would only get to the respiratory tract. It wouldn't be systemic. And there in the respiratory tract it may very well do more harm than good especially if there isn't a respiratory tract fungal infection. You really should try a fluoroquinolone next as salmonella is another bacteria that can infect eyes like that. In fact, without obvious respiratory symptoms, it may be an even more likely candidate than the intracellular bacterial pathogens (Chlamydia and Mycoplasma).

Why are you suggesting Mycoplasma when there are no respiratory symptoms, just the swollen membrane in the corner of the eye? I'm asking because I am very confused.

Wouldn't others in my flock be affected by now if this was a respiratory disease? The pullet is separated now, but she was with the entire flock for about a week.

I appreciate your response War Chicken.

I am trying anything and everything to cure what this pullet has. Nothing is helping, although it is not really getting worse. The pocket of pus in the corner of her eye is preventing her from seeing though and I worry about how much she is eating and drinking. I thought about trying to lance the pockets, but I am not really wanting to do that. I have tried pushing on the pockets with a qtip and nothing comes out.

I guess I though using the Oxine in a humidifier was worth a shot???

No other symptoms for this hen. No other members of the flock are infected.

Any other ideas? I will try to find Tylan 50 on Monday.
I have a hen that I think has a respiratory disease and I just started Tylan 50 injections last night. I got it at Tractor Supply and they sell the syringes and needles as well. Our hen has been sick for over a month and one eye is closed and she is lethargic, hardly moving around and eating only a little at a time. Today, for the first time in weeks, she was actually walking around in our yard and eating and drinking quite a lot. Hope this helps. -Denise

Back
Top Bottom