Oxine - Particle size needed for inhalation??

Nicole95

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
I wasn't sure where to post this but I'm hoping someone may have answers to a couple questions regarding Oxine.
I have a couple chicks with the sniffles, nothing major, just sneezing occasionally. They are about 5-6 weeks old and I am planning to move them outside to their coop tomorrow. I had already planned on buying a gallon of oxine to use as a disinfectant for the coop because I've heard so many great things about it and since I've heard it's also used commonly for respiratory issues, I figured I would go ahead and buy the gallon and try some on these sniffling chicks.
What I'm wondering is, can I simply use a spray bottle with a fine mist to squirt them with? From what I've read, many people use this method about once a week (spraying the chickens down).
However, I've also read that the oxine/water mixture must be used in a fogger to be effective for respiratory issues because the fogger makes the particle size of the oxine much smaller so it's actually inhaled.
I have a humidifier, would that be sufficient? I don't know that the humidifier would make the particles as fine, any ideas?
Has anyone used the oxine/water mixture just in a spray bottle with success?
Also, what ratio of oxine-water are you using?

Thanks for any advice!
I've heard great things about oxine, I just want to use it effectively!

I've been using Oxine for a long time. I clean out my feeders, waterers, equipment, and premises. I disinfect my boots with it between visiting different yards. I use it for suspected intestinal infections and for moderate respiratory problems. I've used it to clean wounds too. I use 1.25 oz to a quart of water in a spray bottle. I use the finest mist to spray over them and in their faces while roosting when I lock them in for the night. I do not do this regularly, but only when I hear some sneezing or clearing of the respiratory tract that seems suspicious.

A noticeable spray of liquid out the nostrils is a sign sometimes. Sporadic "honks" can come from powdery feed, ingesting dust too, so I don't just whip out the Oxine when this happens. For intestinal problems that may be bacterial or fungal, I give it a try by using 15 drops of Oxine from an eye dropper per gallon of water. I've dealt with a number of diseases over the years. Lots to learn always. I possess pretty healthy birds with few problems. I will say this though, Oxine is effective on many types of fungi, bacteria, and viruses. It is also great on any surface water can penetrate. It is stronger and safer than bleach, which used to be the old standby for coop premise cleaning.

Oxine's effectiveness lessens if left in the sun, so the container should be kept in a dark, cool place. I mix a fresh solution every few days.

Thanks so much! Glad to hear there's been success with treating minor respiratory issues with simply using a spray bottle. After looking up the prices of foggers, I didn't see that as being a possibility :)

Thanks so much! Glad to hear there's been success with treating minor respiratory issues with simply using a spray bottle. After looking up the prices of foggers, I didn't see that as being a possibility
smile.png

You can get a decent fogger for $200. For large buildings I could see them as beneficial, but Oxine is safer than many other farm and livestock disinfectants on the market. I wear a respirator and use 2 gallon hand pump sprayer when cleaning coops. When cleaning coops, I don't use Oxine consistently. I go back and forth between a few different kinds to keep the nasty microorganisms from building a resistance.

I'm trying everything to cure a problem with a sinus type infection in one of my hens. I started her on antibiotics, Duramycn 10 a few days ago with no results so far except the problem hasnt worsened.

Want to try the Oxine. Can I use the Oxine, while still on antibiotics? Anyone have good results with pus pockets in the third eyelid with Oxine?

Thanks!!!

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps031

Salmonella is the next most likely culprit. Baytril (enrofloxacin) is usually what is tried if a tetracycline doesn't work or vice versa. You can buy the human equivalent, ciprofloxacin, OTC via eBay or elsewhere online.

Oxine applied topically to the eye wouldn't have any effect. If it was activated Oxine it would burn.

I'm trying everything to cure a problem with a sinus type infection in one of my hens. I started her on antibiotics, Duramycn 10 a few days ago with no results so far except the problem hasnt worsened.

Want to try the Oxine. Can I use the Oxine, while still on antibiotics? Anyone have good results with pus pockets in the third eyelid with Oxine?

Thanks!!!
With respiratory infections if Duramycin isn't helping, You might swith to Tylan 50 used either as a shot or given orally1/2-3/4 ml daily, or the baytril.

Tetracyclines are also tricky to use since they tend to bind metal and become inactivated. Calcium in the food, tap water, etc., can all be problematic. Doxycycline is better in this regard, with no more than 20% being bound up by food. Of course, one can avoid some of these problems by injecting them.

I wasn't sure where to post this but I'm hoping someone may have answers to a couple questions regarding Oxine.
I have a couple chicks with the sniffles, nothing major, just sneezing occasionally. They are about 5-6 weeks old and I am planning to move them outside to their coop tomorrow. I had already planned on buying a gallon of oxine to use as a disinfectant for the coop because I've heard so many great things about it and since I've heard it's also used commonly for respiratory issues, I figured I would go ahead and buy the gallon and try some on these sniffling chicks.
What I'm wondering is, can I simply use a spray bottle with a fine mist to squirt them with? From what I've read, many people use this method about once a week (spraying the chickens down).
However, I've also read that the oxine/water mixture must be used in a fogger to be effective for respiratory issues because the fogger makes the particle size of the oxine much smaller so it's actually inhaled.
I have a humidifier, would that be sufficient? I don't know that the humidifier would make the particles as fine, any ideas?
Has anyone used the oxine/water mixture just in a spray bottle with success?
Also, what ratio of oxine-water are you using?

I did a lot of research on this 1-2 years ago. The numbers I found were 3-5 microns or less otherwise they don't make it to the rear air sacs. If they're too big they either settle out too soon or don't make it through the curves and impact on the walls of the airway.

I started with a fogger then discovered the droplet sizes weren't even close. Then I bought a nebulizer and discovered it still wasn't producing particles fine enough. I did more research and tracked down the model they used in the paper I read, the Acorn II. Fortunately, they're only a few dollars and plugged into the compressor of the nebulizer I had already purchased.

As for humidifiers, it depends on the type of humidifier. A humidifier that evaporates the water (wick or hot steam types) will leave anything dissolved in the water behind, such as the sodium chlorite in Oxine. An ultrasonic humidifier atomizes the water into small droplets (0.05 micron is what I see specified for ultrasonic transducers) which appear to carry whatever is in the water with them. That's why white dust deposition is a common complaint with ultrasonic humidifiers. The minerals dissolved in the tap water are carried off in the droplets and left behind when the water in the droplets evaporate. With evaporative and hot steam humidifiers, those sediments stay behind and form scale.

One thing I've noticed is that using Oxine would always make my bird's symptoms worse right after treatment up to 24 hours later. There would be more tail-bobbing, loss of voice, increased respiratory rate, and I could observe deeper breaths being taken. It's never cured anything for me and I just ordered F10SC for future nebulizations. That at least has been used by vets and been documented in a paper.

I appreciate your response War Chicken.

I am trying anything and everything to cure what this pullet has. Nothing is helping, although it is not really getting worse. The pocket of pus in the corner of her eye is preventing her from seeing though and I worry about how much she is eating and drinking. I thought about trying to lance the pockets, but I am not really wanting to do that. I have tried pushing on the pockets with a qtip and nothing comes out.

I guess I though using the Oxine in a humidifier was worth a shot???

No other symptoms for this hen. No other members of the flock are infected.

Any other ideas? I will try to find Tylan 50 on Monday.

Back
Top Bottom