OXINE seems fabulous. Users please share usage, dosage, storage, etc.

Carolyn252

Mother of Chickens
14 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Freeport/NassauCounty/L.I./NY
I've been reading the many different previous posts concerning Oxine and I'm trying to get all the different variations of methods of usage put into one single thread. This could then serve as a practical resource and we can then each decide how best to use this stuff for our small backyard flocks.

My ten questions concern UNACTIVATED Oxine. Unactivated means you are NOT adding any citric acid to the Oxine/water solution.

From my reading of previous posts, unactivated Oxine, diluted with water in proper solution concentrations, is entirely safe for humans and animals and chickens and other poultry, both for drinking and for application to skin and feathers, and for inhaling. (Activated with citric acid, Oxine becomes dangerous to use and requires you to implement several precautionary steps.)

SOLUTION DILUTION: I'd like to know what dilution concentrations you're using for UNACTIVATED Oxine when you mix up a solution for:
1- A quart-sized spray bottle, for spraying the roosts, bedding and walls inside the coop, as a general preventative sanitizer once a week. (If not once a week, what schedule are you using?)

2- A quart-sized spray bottle, for spraying the chickens directly onto their feathers, and for lifting their feathers and spraying onto their skin all over their body, face and legs and feet as a general preventative sanitizer once a week. (If not once a week, what schedule are you using?)

3- A quart-sized spray bottle, for spraying the bottoms of the shoes of any people visiting your backyard, as a biosecurity precaution.

4- A cool mist vaporizor, set inside the coop, to "fog" the air (using the UNACTIVATED Oxine) that the chickens breathe all night long while they're confined to their coop, as a preventative lung sanitizer once a week. (If not once a week, what schedule are you using?)

5- A cool-mist vaporizor, set inside the coop, to "fog" the air (using the UNACTIVATED Oxine) that the chickens breathe to treat respiratory troubles (coughing, sneezing, gurgly breath sounds). What schedule do you use? Do you lock them in the coop and do this cool-mist vaporizor "fogging" several times a day? For how many minutes each session? For how many days? I'm assuming that the vaporizor is used, instead of the sprayer, because the droplets emitted from the vaporzor are much smaller (and therefore able to be inhaled) than the droplets emitted from the sprayer, even when the sprayer is set to the smallest size droplets.

STORAGE CONTAINER:
6- Does the diluted solution in the spray bottle need to be kept in an OPAQUE spray bottle to prevent decline in its effectiveness? I'm assuming a spray bottle of solution may last a few weeks, so do you use opaque spray bottles, or do you wrap your clear spray bottles in opaque material? Or is a clear bottle just fine?

WEATHER WORTHY CONCERNS:
7- Can I keep the large gallon jug of the concentrate in an outdoor shed year round or will it be affected by summer heat or a winter freeze?

8- Can I keep the spray bottle (that's holding the diluted solution) in an outdoor shed year round or will it be affected by summer heat or a winter freeze?

INTENDED GOALS:
9- Besides killing all mold, fungus, viruses, and bacteria, and besides banishing all bad odors, have you found it effective against lice and mites? If so, is that from spraying the chickens or is it from using the cool-mist vaporizor in the coop?

10- Have you seen it affect the fly population in the coop at all? If so, is that from spraying the coop and bedding or from using the cool-mist vaporizor in the coop?

Many questions are answered here: http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm
Remember
, a gallon is 4 quarts, and 1 oz is 2 tablespoons. 1 tablespoon is 3 teaspoons.

I use the same dilution for shoes as the bottle says to use for disinfecting. The link above has suggestions for dilutions for fogging, etc. I'd not use it to "bathe" them in on a regular basis. It is not effective against lice or mites, only bacteria, mold and fungus. Nothing kills virus.

Oxine is known to kill every bacteria, virus, and mold it has ever been tested against, says the article, so yes, it does kill viruses if it comes in contact with them. So does Lysol, but you can't use it around birds.

I recently found out that the Oxine label indicates pesticide use and Oxine AH is the only pesticide approved for use in HVAC systems, so it may have some affect on lice and mites, which surprised me.

I order Oxine from Revival animal health by the case and store bottles inside my storage room in house. My spray bottles are kept in my feed shed next to layer house ouut of direct sunlight and are opaque.. I use 1oz for my 500gallon molded duck pond as I fill it. 1/4oz in a tall spray bottle for disinfection and cleaning food and water containers before rinsing. 1/4 oz in tall spray bottle for cleaning inside poultry houses and shoes . I use Oxine only as preventive during wet weather periods in water (1oz to gallon then half eye dropper for each gallon jug). I use ac vinegar in the drinking water.I got. All my information on Oxine from EPA website, a couple of university websites, shagbark bantams etc.,. I've been incredibly lucky that I. Have not had ny mite or lice in any of my birds in 7 years. No loss of birds to disease in 5 years of using it. I have never bathed a bird with oxine in water but my ducks do their own thing.

Quote:
Thanks; I did read that article before I posted my ten questions. and, by the way, it says that Oxine does indeed kill viruses.

I stand corrected about it killing virii and mites. My face is red as it has been a few months since I read this article closely.

It does have recommendations for fogging and such though, and answers some of your questions. If the label doesn't have the dilutions I need, I've always used what this gentleman suggests.

Last edited:
Quote:
I've tried to "cut" and "paste" this to a document for future reference, but windows closes. Can anyone tell me how to do this.

Don't try to "cut" it, try to "copy" it. Highlight the text and hold down the CTRL key while pressing C. Then click on the document where you want to paste it and hold down CTRL then press V.

Back
Top Bottom