Oxine??

henney penny

Songster
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
Northern Maine
I just started using oxine.They get 8 drops in a gallon of water a day and 6.5 oz in a gallon of water misted over them three times a day.I have been doing this for a week now becasue I have two that are sneezing.I still hear them once in awhile.I can`t do it today as its below freezing in the coop(the misting part).How long should I continue this before I notice no more sneezing?I also spray the coop with the misting to.Anyone else use oxine and for what and how much do you use???

Try this...
7 oz in a gallon of filtered water. Used this solution in a humidifier 30 minutes in the evening when they get on the roost. A week of this usually takes care of just about everything. Misting in the face is a good barrier for shows and when they are around strange chickens, but does not give them a chance to really inhale it.

You think it will ok with it being so cold in the coop?This morning it was 23 in the coop.I wish I would have know about this stuff a few weeks ago.Why does it have to be filtered water?I have well water would that be ok?

Last edited:
The person in this link recommends misting 3 times a day for 10 days, well water should be just fine. I've read posts where a plastic bottle with a very fine mister has been used and is effective in clearing up their chickens problem. We dont have freezing temps during the day here, but I'd think that it wouldnt be a good idea to mist them when it's 23 degrees. I dont see any reason why you couldnt mist them again when the temps are above freezing even if it's beyond ten days.
http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm

Last edited:
There is some info on Oxine AH on the "Fungal Conditions" on my website linked in my sig below, if it might be of help.

I've used Oxine as a nebulizer for chickens that had MG. It did not clear up their particular strains of the disease. It may have helped reduce the severity, and I definitely think it helped keep the coop disinfected so they didn't pick up fresh doses of germs from poop & air as much.

Oxine only can work on germs inside a chicken if it comes into physical contact with them. I'm thinking that's mostly only when breathed into the chicken's lungs & air sacs, or passing through the chicken's digestive system. My thought is that Oxine would not be very concentrated in the bloodstream & wouldn't reach other organs.

I don't know all the areas of a chicken's body affected by various diseases, but if a disease is being harbored in an area Oxine can't reach, you might have to also use additional treatment(s).

My recommendation for a fairly developed respiratory condition would be to use Oxine (which really does appear to be GREAT for many situations) and ALSO give the chickens antibiotics (such as Terramycin) and/or probiotics (buttermilk, unsweetened yogurt, etc) and other health supplements.

There is a Poultry Medicine Chart on my website, too, that can give a start on choosing which medicine may be helpful for a particular health problem.

Last edited:
I've been using Oxine AH (specific directions for animal health use on the label) and think it works wonders. I discovered it when I was searching for some way to treat a pheasant who was diagnosed with Avian Pox. The vet gave us antibiotics to prevent secondary infections etc but said that the pox are viral and therefore not treatable. The pheasant has both wet and dry(internal and external) pox which is usually fatal and a few times I was suprised he made it thru the night. As soon as it arrived I started disinfecting the coop and mixing it in the other poultys water. I've put it in waterers, sprayed inside and all over the coop, added a tiny bit to the water I use to wash out my sick pheasants eyes(they are matted shut in the AM), mixed it in a humidifier for him to inhale a few times a week.... I wish I'd known about this stuff sooner! I am sure it's made a difference in the course of my pheasants treatment. He seems to be getting a little better each day and his pox are now falling off. I just mix it as directed on the bottle. When I dose the yard full of birds I mix it in bulk....30 gallons of water per 30 Mls(1 oz) of Oxine. I've never used it with the activator, but it's recommended to use a breathing aparatus if you do. I read a study on Oxine and evidently when diluted correctly its safe enough to use as mouthwash(according to the study) and it's been used in human water treatment. Theres even a flyer regarding use in HVAC cleaning
http://www.webrepshvac.com/assets/pdfs/oxine.pdf

If I had only known about this stuff last summer when a ratcoon had moved into my ventillation system I coulda saved a ton!
Here are links to a few of the articles I read... I'm not sure if it has any side effects long or short term, but all my birds are strictly pets and it was the only treatment I found that is supposed to kill the virus

http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/content/view/20/43/

http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm

See Poultry Pedia.com for nebulizing instructions. It will be under "Fungal Infections". Oxine will probably NOT help CRD but check your coop for Mold. I thought my Hens had CRD but I just ripped apart my coop roof & found MOLD. I had a Necropsy done so this is how I ruled CRD out. Some side affects of Fungal are as follows: Starts with sneezing,scratching face,feather loss(usually will start seeing sm. feathers/base of other feathers start getting coarse, Excessive Wetness in mouth/throat & texture was like snot for mine which will lead to lung sounds. Some of my Hens started internally laying or will stop all together(check abdomen for hardness-distension). YOU MAY Also notice a funky-sweet smell around the Head/Neck area. As a Medical Asst. I started to think what would cause this if it wasn't CRD. Then it hit me that Sugar =fermentation which =Mold/yeast. I started to look under "symptoms of Fungal infection in Chickens" & found an article. The symptoms matched 95%. BOTH conditions will result in lack of eating layer pellet. TRY Meatbird/seed mix. TRY to stay away from Corn. Corn = Sugar & In both situations will cause bacteria to grow. Meatbird is good for respiratory & I think you will find that they WILL crave -eat it. I have read that Fungal can't be transmitted,However I would take that with a grain of salt. The Slime they excrete gets on the food/then others eat it. There is bacteria in this discharge. This slime is not only a symptom but its a way they try to sheild off the mold. I WOULD DEFINITELY DO THE OXINE ASAP! THE FURTHER DOWN THE FUNGAL GETS IN THE LUNGS IT WILL BE HARDER TO REACH WITH OXINE. IT NEEDS TO BE A FINE MIST. THEY BREATHE DEEPER WHEN SLEEPING BUT AT MIN. 2XS A DAY 15MIN. Denegard is good for BOTH CRD/Fungal.
You should start with 3cc per QT for extreme conditions. Use sweet & low to "Try" to make it palatable. You WILL need to put a tad on finger & test yourself. Just rinse/spit out. If this doesn't work I purchased an Enema bottle & cleaned it out. Leave the rubber gasket in. Carefully squirt sm. amts. into mouth. They will "at Least" need 1-1.5oz consumption Morn./Eve. The Denegard is a bit pricey(QC Supply via Internet). It WILL last you a long time if dealing with sm. flock. Also LA 200 in conjunction would be ideal because it also has a drying affect & will kill off secondary. I had to use both Denegard/LA on what I was dealing with. BOTH WILL DRY OUT THE LUNGS & THE DENEGARD DEPOSITS A SALT BASED CRYSTAL IN THE LUNGS BUT THEY NEED TO CONSUME IT AT LEAST 2XS A DAY. I MAKE SURE AT NIGHT THEY ALL GET A GOOD DOSE. I have consulted with an Avian Vet for 2yrs/also UCD FDA Dept. of AG. They told me that my hens had been exposed to CRD BUT this isn't what was causing my problems.
IF YOU HAVE CRD ONCE YOU GET IT UNDER CONTROL IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT DURING STRESS TIMES YOU USE A THERAPEUTIC DOSE OF 2CC PER QT OF WATER(MOLTING/SPRING-BEGIN LAYING.. DO NOT USE METAL CONTAINERS!!! KEEP OUT OF SUNLIGHT& CHANGE DAILY. DO NOT USE VITAMINS WITH IRON/CALCIUM IN LARGE AMTS CAN CAUSE THE DENEGARD NOT TO WORK AS WELL. YOU CAN FIND MOST OF THIS ON THE DENEGARD SITE BUT IT WILL TAKE ALOT OF TIME. IT WILL SAY "FOR NON U.S. CITIZENS". THE REASON IS THAT EVEN THOUGH ITS FDA APPROVED IT IS NOT LABELED FOR CHICKENS IN THE "U.S." THEY HAVE DONE MANY STUDIES/LOTS OF SUCCESS IN EUROPE.
MY VET CHARGES BIG TIME FOR FUNGAL MEDS SO THIS IS SECOND BEST. YOU CAN ALSO TRY OREGANO OIL WHICH I TRIED(75% CARBONAL RATED)YOU WILL SEE THIS ALSO UNDER FUNGAL TREATMENTS ON POULTRY PEDIA.COM. . IT HELPED BUT IN MY CASE DIDN'T KICK IT BY ITSELF!
Good Luck/God Bless!

FOLLOW UP: Using Oxine 2.5-3tsp. per cup of water morn./eve -15-20min sessions via a vaporizor. It states cool vapor is ideal but I only had a normal Vaporizor. I also found an old Nasal mist inhaler. I actually have to get in the coop in the Morn. with them to keep them in a corner area so they get the mist. I had to drape the door some so the vapor would build a little. You are also disinfecting the Coop at the same time. I pulse the Nasal pump intermittently since they aren't getting the Vaporizor full time. At night its so much easier when they are on the roost since the vapors rise. Its amazing to see that one Hen moves over close to the mist & closes her eyes. She starts sleeping so I know I'm on the right track.
I noticed one hen had a distended Crop & wasn't eating. I made my Fungal brew which is 4-5 drops of Oxine in a Qt. of water with 4 drops of Oregano Oil (Best buy on Amazon "Natural Factors Oregano oil with the 80% Carvacol rating"). It does have Olive oil in it but it still has at least a 65- 70% rating. I have tried it myself at the start of a Cold. It will burn if you make it too strong but let me tell you it does the trick! I even got rid of a sm. wart just wiping a sm. amt. Full Strength Morn./Eve. for a week. If you look on the Internet OR your local Health Food store you will pay MUCH MORE for the Organic. FYI: I paid $26 at a local store but paid 1/2 this through Amazon free shipping if you get another Super Saver item to get over $25.
Back to the Chickens. Within 24HRS. The Hen with the Bloated crop is eating(Give Meatbird with sm. amt of layer crumble of broken pellet). They will crave the Meatbird. Stay away from too much Carbs/sugar(Layer pellet/Corn aren't good). Per lots of reading Chickens with Lung issues of ANY kind Fungal or Viral the Meatbird helps their weight & to overcome the problem.
I will have to do this Vapor treament for AT LEAST 2 Weeks. I will probably go at least 3 to TRY & make sure I get all the Mold in their Lungs.
The "1" issue is that they have been exposed on & off for so long that this heavy mucus I mentioned above is actually produced by the Hen in an attempt to Wall off the Fungus. IF this has happened IN THE LUNGS then the Oxine supposedly CANNOT Penetrate that. I'm hoping with prior use of LA 200/Denegard that it didn't ever get that far. Both are Antibiotics that have a drying affect. Technically it states that the Antibiotics only fight secondary infections but I can't tell you how many times the LA 200 dried them out & got them back on track. The problem was that they were being exposed again & again.
We Will see. It states that Stress will make the symptoms re-appear or moist conditions(Winter). The pattern-symptoms are just like CRD.
Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom