Oxy-Tetracycline egg withdrawal?

kris10benavides

In the Brooder
Dec 17, 2016
Austin, Texas
Hi folks

I recently had a really sick chicken (21 weeks) that we injected with Oxy-Tetracycline (after trying other natural remedies). She’s not laying yet, but wondering how long the egg withdrawal is. I have heard mixed things and the antibiotic bottle does not say as it’s not for chickens. This medicine was recommended at our local feed store.

Attachments

• E48609EB-4069-404E-A831-A08965B89A9A.jpeg
    E48609EB-4069-404E-A831-A08965B89A9A.jpeg
    364.7 KB · Views: 115
Hi folks

I recently had a really sick chicken (21 weeks) that we injected with Oxy-Tetracycline (after trying other natural remedies). She’s not laying yet, but wondering how long the egg withdrawal is. I have heard mixed things and the antibiotic bottle does not say as it’s not for chickens. This medicine was recommended at our local feed store.

Excerpt from FARAD Digest article:
Multiple studies 48–60 have been performed to evaluate depletion of oxytetracycline residues in the eggs of treated hens. In Canada, oxytetracycline soluble powder is approved for use in the drinking water of laying hens at concentrations ranging from 50 to 112 mg/L (190 to 424 mg/gal) with 60-hour to 5-day egg withdrawal intervals, respectively.16 Those withdrawal intervals should be extended in the United States because oxytetracycline is not approved for use in laying hens; therefore, oxytetracycline must be undetectable in all eggs destined for human consumption.

I would withdrawal for 5 days, 10 if you're conservative.

Who gave you the dosage rate?
That's 40 mg. I'll assume your chicken weighs roughly 5 pounds or 2.27 Kg. So your dose was 17.6 mg/Kg.
The low oral dose quoted in the article was for 50 mg/L so your chicken would have had to drink 800 mls of that water to receive a similar dose to what you injected. Not likely.
The high dose was 112 mg/L. Your chicken would have had to drink 357 mls of that concentration to receive a similar dose to what you injected. More reasonable, but still a lot for a chicken.
The Canadian withdrawal period for the larger dose was 5 days. Your dose is higher than that oral dose.
I'd like to know what information the feed store guy is quoting.
Based on your dose, I would feel comfortable eating the eggs with a 21 day withdrawal.

Who gave you the dosage rate?
That's 40 mg. I'll assume your chicken weighs roughly 5 pounds or 2.27 Kg. So your dose was 17.6 mg/Kg.
The low oral dose quoted in the article was for 50 mg/L so your chicken would have had to drink 800 mls of that water to receive a similar dose to what you injected. Not likely.
The high dose was 112 mg/L. Your chicken would have had to drink 357 mls of that concentration to receive a similar dose to what you injected. More reasonable, but still a lot for a chicken.
The Canadian withdrawal period for the larger dose was 5 days. Your dose is higher than that oral dose.
I'd like to know what information the feed store guy is quoting.
Based on your dose, I would feel comfortable eating the eggs with a 21 day withdrawal.

I’m not exactly sure where he got his information.

Also I was incorrect, my husband said he gave her 0.1 in her breast.
Do you think it was still too much? :\

Attachments

• 92BC9B2F-C0E5-4F72-9F7B-B6A8A79F6986.jpeg
    92BC9B2F-C0E5-4F72-9F7B-B6A8A79F6986.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 25
I’m not exactly sure where he got his information.

Also I was incorrect, my husband said he gave her 0.1 in her breast.
Do you think it was still too much? :\
Probably not enough. I am not positive, but I think the oxytetracyline dose is 25-40 mg/kg, which is ~0.06 to ~0.1 ml *per pound* of bodyweight.

Back
Top Bottom