Oxytetracycline Can Injectable be given Orally?

Heather74

Chirping
Sep 27, 2015
Hi there,

Oxitetrecycline injectable for cattle is all I can find right now and have a sick rooster with respitory signs and I think the flock might not be far behind. (Eyebubbles, going hoarse, etc.)
Can I give it orally? (Dosed out in water or measured out and fed to each bird) or does it have to be a shot? I'm nervous about the muscle burning and side effects as some of my birds are Polish. (Not a lotta meat to inject into and that's 12 birds total to treat.)

I know there is a powder for water,having a hard time finding it. They need treatment today. I just don't to kill them if the injection is not safe for them to drink.

Also, would I dose the same as the package for cattle? Or are bird dosages different? (If given orally, or injection. Please specify which type the dosage is for.)

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20200706_092108.jpg
    20200706_092108.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 20200706_092103.jpg
    20200706_092103.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 93
I went and traded it put after the store recieved more products. Going to try this instead.

Attachments

• 15941282196417094169346226344795.jpg
    15941282196417094169346226344795.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 94
No one answered your question yet, sorry for that. Are you ok anyway? now you have tablets? Hope you are well

Yes, I brought home those tablets I did some wild math for dosage of each flock. 😅 I needed to give about 60% of 3g of the pill to my EE flock (that has the Rooster that showed respitory issues with going hoarse and eye bubbles.)
Then surprisingly the rest of the 40% went to my smaller Polish flock. The dosage of the pill was too big for my to figure out individual dosages.

I also deep cleaned the coops (the runs share a wall sp that's why I treated both sets.) Changed out the bedding for fresh pine and after 4 days, he showed improvement. I stopped treatment after day 4 (as per bottle instructions for cattle) and he has continued on to a full recovery.

The think about that rooster though is I got him and some of my hens back when they were about 7 weeks old. The flocks have been treated with Tylan 50 twice for respitory issues and sometime he gets a small flareup? Even if no one else does. (They are 6 years old now)
This time though it was much more than a tiny symptom and I was shocked to learn that you just cant get Tylan in stores anymore?? Even in Ga which doesnt have a specific law against it? At least none I've seen. I had a bottle on had but haven't needed it in so long that it expired.

We have had crazy heat, plus fireworks season, plus their bed got a little dirtier than I like this month so I am hoping it was stress that caused the sudden sickness in him alone. No one else is showing symptoms.

They have stopped manufacturing Tylan for feed stores since last year. You can sometimes find it in powder form to put in the water (tylosin) for pigeons online. Doxycycline is a pnother one found there, and there is also a combo of those. Denagard is another MG antibiotic available online.

Back
Top Bottom