oxytetracycline injectable dosage

smott

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
anyone use oxytetracycline injections on their chickens? I have some of the Terra-Vet 200 from Tractor Supply to treat respiratory infection in my chicks. I have seen dosages all over the place, especially on this site. The PoultryDVM site states dose is 5mg/kg daily, which requires dilution to even get a dose small enough for a 230 gm chick. Other sites recommend up to 50mg/kg. Wondering why there is such a huge discrepancy. How have you have dosed successfully? Thanks

The reason dosages are all over the place is that this is not a form of oxytetracycline that is meant for chickens, but for cattle and pigs. It is one of the few antibiotic meds still sold in feed stores. There are other drugs available such as tylosin, doxycycline, Denagard, and others that might be either to dose. Here is some info that might help you decide a dosage and whether or not to use it:
https://www.drugs.com/vet/terra-vet-200.html

http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/oxytetracycline

And here is a powder form of oxy available:
https://pigeonsuppliesplus.com/products/oxytetracycline-10-pdr-100-grams

@Eggcessive thanks. I bought this particular formulation because I needed something quick, and it was the only injectable form available in my local store without having to place an online order and wait for it. I saw the Poultry DVM article, and it states 5mg/kg, which is what I have dosed with twice. But then I got to looking around at all the people and other sites recommending so much more, and thought maybe I was way underdosing. Just wanted clarification.
I do have some tylosin soluble powder for water dosing, and it was not effective. I lost one chick and was looking for something quickly accessible to prevent losing any more.

I see, yes, I remember your thread about fowl pox and possible mycoplasma now. If the tylosin doesn’t help symptoms, and the oxy doesn’t as well, then the cause may be a virus or fungus. With chicks in a brooder, aspergillosis fungus from mold can sometimes cause brooder pneumonia from water spills and heat. The swollen eyes sounds more like MG, but hard to know exactly unless a body could be sent to the state poultry lab for a necropsy. Testing sometimes can be done on live birds as well.

I see, yes, I remember your thread about fowl pox and possible mycoplasma now. If the tylosin doesn’t help symptoms, and the oxy doesn’t as well, then the cause may be a virus or fungus. With chicks in a brooder, aspergillosis fungus from mold can sometimes cause brooder pneumonia from water spills and heat. The swollen eyes sounds more like MG, but hard to know exactly unless a body could be sent to the state poultry lab for a necropsy. Testing sometimes can be done on live birds as well.
The ones I have left are not worse. Their respiratory distress seems a little better but their watery eyes and noses aren’t. Just thought it could be because I wasn’t giving them enough. Or maybe they are just getting better bc their immune systems are working lol. Hard to know.

Back
Top Bottom