Oxytetracycline

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shbouton, Mar 22, 2015.

1. shbouton

shbouton Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    Good morning,

We purchased 5 (3day old) chicks from the Ace Hardware yesterday, purchased the medicated feed and they gave us a bag of oxytetracycline HCI to put in their water. I want to make sure I am not overmedicating and if so, how many teaspoons or partial teaspoons of the Oxytetracylcine HCI should I put in a quart of water? I am not very good at conversions since the packet they gave me has 10 grams in it and the instructions say 10 mg per pound of body weight daily. I am terrified of giving them too much. Also, should I be giving them anything else? Thanks so much in advance for the help! :)

2. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    You shouldn't give antibiotics unless you have a diagnosed bacterial infection. Stick with just the medicated feed. The medicated feed contains amprolium (may also contain Bacitracin, you'll have to check the bag). The amprolium is a thiamine blocker to help prevent coccidiosis. A clean brooder and fresh water and feed is the best way to keep them healthy.

1 person likes this.
  3. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    x2!

1 person likes this.
  4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm curious. Was the water in the chick brooder clear? Or was it colored? I can't fathom the feed store "giving you an antibiotic" for your chicks, unless they knew there was a problem.

1 person likes this.
  5. shbouton

Mar 22, 2015
    Actually, the water was clear! So that's a good sign right?

6. shbouton

Mar 22, 2015
    Thank you ssssoooo much. [​IMG] That was my gut feeling but that's all it was, a gut feeling!

7. shbouton

Mar 22, 2015
    Maybe they were just pushing product but I'll double check by calling tomorrow. Thanks so much for all of your responses... [​IMG]

8. Annie999

Annie999 New Egg

Nov 21, 2014
    I'm giving Oxytetracycline in water to a sick hen. First time I've ever used Oxytetracycline. When I mix the powder in water (I use 1/4 tsp yellow powder per quart of water) the water looks very pale yellow at first, then gradually turns clear, which doesn't surprise me. But 2 time I've found the water has turned PINK! Don't know whethr this means my hen has a wound in her mouth or whether there's some kind of reaction (perhaps btn the Oxytht and sunlight?) that causes the pinkness. Any ideas? Thanks. --Annie

9. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    You need to mix a fresh batch daily; it doesn't keep. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by