oyster shell offering

Bird Worrier

Songster
6 Years
Dec 31, 2017
Does anyone have it figured out how to keep your oyster shell offering clean of straw and debris?
I want to hang a tray off cyclone fencing - low enough off the ground so birds can get into it but high enough so that debris doesn't cover all the oyster shell.
There are feeding trays at the farms stores but they are too deep in my opinion. Would love to DIY something but if you have a link for a store bought item that would work I'd love to know about it!
Thank you!

After a few trial and error, I settled on putting a plastic, round pint size soup container (from take out food) into an empty square nut box (from Costco) container. I use cable ties to hold them up against chicken wire in the run. So far it seems to stay put. It's the right height for them, and not too deep. The square box has a 4 inch, round, top opening and fits the round pint size container perfectly. I'll remember to take a picture tomorrow.

When I used only the pint size soup container, the chickens kept kicking it out of the cable tie and spill the oyster shell all over. But if I use the square nut box, it is too deep. The combo seems to work so far!

I just hook a parrot cage feed cup on a scrap of welded wire that's attached to the coop wall. It's up maybe 5 or 6", not really sure... low enough that the birds can reach in and get all the way to the bottom of the cup, but it's pretty well clear of bedding and I rarely get debris in there.

After a few trial and error, I settled on putting a plastic, round pint size soup container (from take out food) into an empty square nut box (from Costco) container. I use cable ties to hold them up against chicken wire in the run. So far it seems to stay put. It's the right height for them, and not too deep. The square box has a 4 inch, round, top opening and fits the round pint size container perfectly. I'll remember to take a picture tomorrow.

When I used only the pint size soup container, the chickens kept kicking it out of the cable tie and spill the oyster shell all over. But if I use the square nut box, it is too deep. The combo seems to work so far!
Thank you!! I'm definitely going to try this. Thank you for your thorough response!

I just hook a parrot cage feed cup on a scrap of welded wire that's attached to the coop wall. It's up maybe 5 or 6", not really sure... low enough that the birds can reach in and get all the way to the bottom of the cup, but it's pretty well clear of bedding and I rarely get debris in there.
Right on. I'll go to Birds Unlimited to see what kind of vessels they offer. Thank you!!

I picked up a couple of these on clearance from TSC a while back, and they've worked well. I was concerned that they were too deep, but it hasn't been an issue - I just give it a good stir every now & then, and top off as needed. They have little hangers on the back for wire, but I just screw them straight into a 4x4 or whatever. In the past, I've also made do with small butter bowls!
Screenshot_2021-05-18 WARE Corner Cage Chicken Feeder - Chewy com.png

I lay a cinderblock on its side and stick it in a heavy ceramic bowl and stick that on top of the cinder block, though my biggest problem is the chickens view oyster shell like a treat and gobble it down so fast it doesn't have a chance to get filled with shavings.

I picked up a couple of these on clearance from TSC a while back, and they've worked well. I was concerned that they were too deep, but it hasn't been an issue - I just give it a good stir every now & then, and top off as needed. They have little hangers on the back for wire, but I just screw them straight into a 4x4 or whatever. In the past, I've also made do with small butter bowls!View attachment 2677122
oh, I like this!! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom