oyster shell question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by wannalive, Sep 5, 2011.

1. wannalive

wannalive Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    tamms/elco Illinoiis
    i keep hearing/reading to give oyster shell to laying hens only... is there a ill affect to giving pre laying. or roo's other than wasting, and it is not mixed in with the crumbles. it would be free choice

2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    They shouldn't have the additional calcium until laying age..any time from 18 weeks on.
    The roos shouldn't have the calcium because it will give them some problems from having too much. I feed Flock Raiser for the extra protein and also because I do have roos and didn't want them to be eating the Layena with the calcium.

I get baby pig feeders and keep the oyster shell in one and grit in the other.
    I never see my roos touch the oyster shell, but the hens love it.

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I was going to ask, how fo you keep the oyster shell from the rooster and give it to the hens?

4. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    If it is free choice, it should not be a problem since they are good at self regulating, but there is really no reason to even offer it to them until they start laying. They could always end up eating it out of bordem, curiousity or hunger. So I recommend waiting until they are laying.

5. wannalive

wannalive Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    tamms/elco Illinoiis
    their is my problem, i have a few that are laying, a few that aint yet, and one roo... so trying to figure out how to give laying feed to layers, and not to other girls, and oyster shell to layers and not to other girls, or the roo...

6. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:Great question. I want to know how to do this also.

7. johnwinters

johnwinters Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    When I introduce a young or younger birds (younger then 5 months) in with older birds, I put them all on grower and provide calcium free choice. The younger ones might peck at it, but only the mature hens who need it ever really eat any. I've never noticed the roosters eating any, though I suppose if they felt they needed some they might. Otherwise, there is not point in providing young hens who aren't laying yet with a calcium supplement.

8. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Young pullets and roos will indeed sample it when it's first intoduced but won't continue to eat it. Laying hens will only eat it as they feel the need.

9. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    So, if roosters are in with hens layer feed should not be used?

10. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Sounds like if we do something other than an egg the rooster may lay. And all things considered it would smell and need cleaning. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by