oyster shell question

wannalive

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
tamms/elco Illinoiis
i keep hearing/reading to give oyster shell to laying hens only... is there a ill affect to giving pre laying. or roo's other than wasting, and it is not mixed in with the crumbles. it would be free choice

They shouldn't have the additional calcium until laying age..any time from 18 weeks on.
The roos shouldn't have the calcium because it will give them some problems from having too much. I feed Flock Raiser for the extra protein and also because I do have roos and didn't want them to be eating the Layena with the calcium.

I get baby pig feeders and keep the oyster shell in one and grit in the other.
I never see my roos touch the oyster shell, but the hens love it.

If it is free choice, it should not be a problem since they are good at self regulating, but there is really no reason to even offer it to them until they start laying. They could always end up eating it out of bordem, curiousity or hunger. So I recommend waiting until they are laying.

their is my problem, i have a few that are laying, a few that aint yet, and one roo... so trying to figure out how to give laying feed to layers, and not to other girls, and oyster shell to layers and not to other girls, or the roo...

When I introduce a young or younger birds (younger then 5 months) in with older birds, I put them all on grower and provide calcium free choice. The younger ones might peck at it, but only the mature hens who need it ever really eat any. I've never noticed the roosters eating any, though I suppose if they felt they needed some they might. Otherwise, there is not point in providing young hens who aren't laying yet with a calcium supplement.

Young pullets and roos will indeed sample it when it's first intoduced but won't continue to eat it. Laying hens will only eat it as they feel the need.

Sounds like if we do something other than an egg the rooster may lay. And all things considered it would smell and need cleaning.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom