oyster shell question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by iPeanut1990, Sep 30, 2014.

1. iPeanut1990

iPeanut1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    So my girls are 19 weeks old. I went ahead and started transitioning them onto layer feed this morning. I keep seeing to wait until they start laying to start them on layer feed and I've seen go ahead and do it now. One of mine seems to be only days away from laying so I went ahead and started it. I will slowly transition them over the next 7 days onto the layer feed off of their grower feed. My bag of grower is almost finished which is why I decided it's probably ok to go ahead and buy the layer feed instead of another bag of chick grower.

Now about the oyster shell. Should I go ahead and start that too? Again I've seen both wait til they lay and I've seen start it now. Should I wait until all 3 are laying?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    What ever is easiest. People who have mixed flocks usually have oyster shell out all the time, birds that don't need it don't seem to bother it. Hope those first eggs show up for you soon!

3. iPeanut1990

iPeanut1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Good Point! Thanks!

4. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

I would continue feeding the starter feed and offer oyster shell free choice.

When out of starter feed and all laying age, then go with layer feed, if you want to.

If they need the extra calcium, they will eat it when offered free choice.

I have a mixed age flock, so never feed layer, but always offer oyster shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by