Oyster Shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Branderella, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Branderella

Branderella Songster

Jul 6, 2009
    my 21 week old RIR pullet has been snacking on the oyster shell I leave for my older girl. Does this mean she will be laying soon???

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I don't know that its a sign but she is the right age. My RIR was 21 weeks when she started too.

3. threehorses

threehorses Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    It means you have smart girls and that they have a smart owner!

It does mean that they feel an increased need. Pullets can sometimes do that a week before laying.

What are their combs like? that's how I tell.

Not ready yet:
    small, pale, scaley combs. (I keep on grower)

Getting ready:
    Combs are growing, starting to turn cherry colored still a little scaley. (Free choice oyster shell, mix layer in and integrate to layer)

Here we go:
    Combs are red, turning waxy. Vents are waxy and not particularly tight pale or scaley. (they should already be on laying feed by now and always free choice oyste rshell. I start giving yogurt weekly during this time til they're laying normally)

Laying:
    Combs are full, waxy, and can flop over depending on size; vents are dilated (open and relaxed), waxy rather than dry and scaley.
    (They should be on laying pellets and free choice oyster shell always)

4. Branderella

Branderella Songster

Jul 6, 2009
    Quote:Thank you very much..here is what she looks like...what is a vent?? She is the red one in the right corner
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  5. threehorses

threehorses Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    Her vent is her anus/cloaca.

Oh yep, she's about to start laying. Make sure she's on layer now. Her body is full and no longer pullet-like but more hen-like, her comb is the right size for the smallish comb, it's definitely bright red. She could lay any time now.

YAY!

6. Branderella

Branderella Songster

Jul 6, 2009
    yay! I am so excited. I thought she would be first to lay. Her sis (one on the left) is only 7 weeks older and there is such a difference in size..weird what a couple of weeks can do!

7. threehorses

threehorses Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    Quote:She's a lovely girl - reminds me very much of our Willow.

You'll have to update here when she lays her first. [​IMG] That'll be a proud day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: