Oyster Shell

Branderella

Songster
10 Years
Jul 6, 2009
my 21 week old RIR pullet has been snacking on the oyster shell I leave for my older girl. Does this mean she will be laying soon???

It means you have smart girls and that they have a smart owner!

It does mean that they feel an increased need. Pullets can sometimes do that a week before laying.

What are their combs like? that's how I tell.

Not ready yet:
small, pale, scaley combs. (I keep on grower)

Getting ready:
Combs are growing, starting to turn cherry colored still a little scaley. (Free choice oyster shell, mix layer in and integrate to layer)

Here we go:
Combs are red, turning waxy. Vents are waxy and not particularly tight pale or scaley. (they should already be on laying feed by now and always free choice oyste rshell. I start giving yogurt weekly during this time til they're laying normally)

Laying:
Combs are full, waxy, and can flop over depending on size; vents are dilated (open and relaxed), waxy rather than dry and scaley.
(They should be on laying pellets and free choice oyster shell always)

Quote:
Thank you very much..here is what she looks like...what is a vent?? She is the red one in the right corner
36097_7-09_091.jpg

Last edited:
Her vent is her anus/cloaca.

Oh yep, she's about to start laying. Make sure she's on layer now. Her body is full and no longer pullet-like but more hen-like, her comb is the right size for the smallish comb, it's definitely bright red. She could lay any time now.

YAY!

yay! I am so excited. I thought she would be first to lay. Her sis (one on the left) is only 7 weeks older and there is such a difference in size..weird what a couple of weeks can do!

Quote:
She's a lovely girl - reminds me very much of our Willow.

You'll have to update here when she lays her first.
smile.png
That'll be a proud day.

Back
Top Bottom