Bake the egg shells?

I wouldn't waste time baking them either.
If you aren't feeding a layer type feed I would recommend getting the oyster shell.
Bigger pieces of calcium are better.
Read this:
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ster_Shell_and_Limestone_In_vivo_and_In_vitro

"... The magnitude of difference at different times was greater for medium and large particles than for small particles. In the present study, the large particle size had a slower solubility rate (Table 3), which is in agreement with many other studies [7,15,17,44,47]. Also, this solubility pattern agrees with the works of Scott and Mullenhoff [48] and Scott et al. [49], who hypothesized that large particles of oyster shell accumulated in the gizzard during the day would dissolve slowly throughout the night, thereby, maintaining a higher blood calcium level compared with the time when hens received high calcium levels only during the daytime hours. ..."

same link above:
... Roland [55], Keshavarz et al. [8], and Lesson and Summers [51] reported that oyster shell in coarse particles improved eggshell quality because of its lower solubility and slow release during night, when eggshell is formed. In in vivo studies, it was illustrated that sources with lower in vitro solubility or large particle size have increased retention times in the gizzard, which supports maintenance of eggshell quality [18,44,46]. This is especially critical during the dark period, when the hen relies on Ca for eggshell calcification and is not actively ingesting dietary Ca. ...

This is the same reason we bake ours. I think if you were using store bought eggs, baking them would kill off whatever they use to treat the shells as well.
If you have chickens why would you buy store bought eggs to bake shells and feed them to your flock?:) The suns UV rays has some disinfecting effects, but the idea is to dry the shells so the hens aren't eating egg whites and encouraging egg eating. Chickens pick at things far more bacteria covered during the day than a couple of egg shells.

Back
Top Bottom