Oyster Shell

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Yay Chicks!, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Good Morning! I have read posts that say don't feed oyster shell until your birds start laying, and I've read posts that say to offer oyster shell when they are near to laying. Mine are about 19 1/2 weeks old. They are not yet laying but I would not be surprised to get an egg in the next day or two based on the behavior of the BR and the BO. So....is there harm in feeding oyster shell to birds that have not yet laid? The purpose would be to make certain that the first eggs were not thin shelled - something I also read a lot of postings about. They are on layer feed.
    Thanks!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Offer it to them free choice. They will take it if they need it. I've even had a youngster (12 weeks) sample a few pieces and she is just fine. [​IMG]

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Yeah, I have a three different aged birds, old layers, 20-week pullets and 15-week chicks so am feeding grower to all. I have a small wall feeder that has 5-lbs of oyster shells in it so whoever feels the need can dip into it. Won't switch them over to layer until the youngest bunch starts producing eggs.

4. gallinamama

gallinamama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Macomb, Michigan
    Quote:MINE ARE 19 WEEKS OLD... I JUST GAVE THEM THE LAYENA FEED AND OYSTER SHELLS THIS MORNING... EVEN THE ROOSTER WAS EATING THE OYSTERSHELLS... IS THAT NORMAL?

5. gallinamama

May 14, 2010
    Macomb, Michigan
    Is Layena Crumbles .... Layer Food ? Is There A Different Food To Give Them? They Get Scraps, Grass And Fruit Also.

6. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Layena is layer food, yes.

7. gallinamama

May 14, 2010
    Macomb, Michigan
    Yay Chicks! :

Layena is layer food, yes.

THANKYOU![​IMG]

8. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    If you're concerned, just wait until they start laying and if the shells seem too thin - offer the oyster shells.

9. tommboy1973

tommboy1973 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    Hidden Valley, AZ
    The lady at the feed store said I did not need to feed oyster shell with the Layena, but from what I see on here it sounds like she is wrong?

10. Amigatec

Amigatec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Haskell Oklahoma
    Here is what I use. I have Oyster shells in one side and grit in the other.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by