oyster shell

shmeggs

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 24, 2013
I have been thinking of giving my chickens oyster shell. A friend told me he puts it in a separate feed dish they eat it as they need to, but I was reading that some mix it with the layer food. what does most of you do, put in another dish or mix it with layer food?

I have been thinking of giving my chickens oyster shell. A friend told me he puts it in a separate feed dish they eat it as they need to, but I was reading that some mix it with the layer food. what does most of you do, put in another dish or mix it with layer food?

I offer both grit and oyster shell as free choice in a separate container. This allows them to take what they want/need - and makes it easy to monitor consumption,etc.

I agree. It's impossible to know exactly how much calcium they will need at any given time, even more so if you happen to have a mixed flock. Makes perfect sense just to let each hen take what they need, when they need it, if they need it. You can top it off periodically when they eat it all.

I agree. It's impossible to know exactly how much calcium they will need at any given time, even more so if you happen to have a mixed flock....
Too much calcium is bad for young chickens. Feed oyster shell and granite grit free choice in a separate small can and let each chicken eat what and only what they need. Works great for a mixed age flock.

Back
Top Bottom