Oyster shells

Update. I put it out at five last night and when I came to walk them up at seven there was oyster shell everywhere around a little dish. This morning they went right to it and started pulling all the oyster shell out of the container and onto the ground and look like they’re eating a lot of it. I’m a little worried about their well-being. What should I do? Leave it or take it out
Are they eating a bunch of it or just checking it out? I know when I out mine out at first they went over for an couple days, moved it all around and out of the container and checked it out, eating very little.

Might want to make a feeder for the OS something like this.
A bit harder to get into and can't be spilled.
full

Are they eating a bunch of it or just checking it out? I know when I out mine out at first they went over for an couple days, moved it all around and out of the container and checked it out, eating very little.
There definitely check it out a lot And when I go over one was eating one after another on the ground. I might just put it back in when I see my first egg

What breeds do you have? You might have some early layers that could benefit from it. Checking it out and gorging are different. I guess if it was me I would leave it for a couple days and see if they continue to consistently eat it or if the curiosity stops. Did they eat all that you put out?
I have 4 buff Orpingtons, 4 RIR, and 3 Australorps. They spilled the top layer of but didn’t eat all of it. Not even close. Maybe I was being to protective

Most of us are... :)
At least with the first ones. I had my bigs and littles out for a meet and greet. They were avoiding each other...it was going well. Then a spooked little ran right into the middle of a bunch of the bigs. Looking down I saw the cat. I didn't even think about the cat because she likes to just hang out and watch the big ones. It was kinda funny.

Back
Top Bottom