OYSTER SHELLS

Pics
This is a good practice, but they still need additional calcium beyond recycling their own shells. :)
I realize that, but feeding laying hens their own shells helps too. By the way….it’s not good for non-laying hens and roosters to eat calcium additive feed as they can consume TOO much calcium. Chicken keepers must think about that as well.

I realize that, but feeding laying hens their own shells helps too. By the way….it’s not good for non-laying hens and roosters to eat calcium additive feed as they can consume TOO much calcium. Chicken keepers must think about that as well.

This is one of the reasons so many of us here promote feeding all-flock feed with oystershell on the side instead of layer. :)

I just offer the oystershell free choice. Sometimes they eat it and sometimes they don't. They know what they need.
I've been leaving them free choice egg shells and the little bowl has been emptied daily. I dont know how many shells i offer, but i think its about 3. Between the 5 of them, they finish them. Rosemarythyme states she has the ability to micromanage; as do I so making sure there are always shells throughout the day is not unreasonable. Hard egg shells for the win!! 🐓❤️

I've been leaving them free choice egg shells and the little bowl has been emptied daily. I dont know how many shells i offer, but i think its about 3. Between the 5 of them, they finish them. Rosemarythyme states she has the ability to micromanage; as do I so making sure there are always shells throughout the day is not unreasonable. Hard egg shells for the win!! 🐓❤️

If they're finishing all the calcium then they need more.

I mix the oystershell and the egg shells in a feeder and just keep it full with more than they will eat between refills in order to be sure that they always have enough available. :)

This is one of the reasons so many of us here promote feeding all-flock feed with oystershell on the side instead of
If they're finishing all the calcium then they need more.

I mix the oystershell and the egg shells in a feeder and just keep it full with more than they will eat between refills in order to be sure that they always have enough available. :)
3killerB's, thanks for that. YeA, i'm pretty sure the pellets they eat is layer feed, so I assumed there was calcium there. The gal who laid the soft egg one day; laid an egg with those little calcifications on it the next day! Hard as ever. BYC peeps said maybe it was a glitch. I since have renamed Rosie to 'Glitch'. I was lucky enough to see her lay the soft one and really lucky to see the over calcified egg the next day. I just always say to myself, try your best, and never buy chickens from TSC again!

Attachments

• 3E0D0E8B-8E07-4225-A338-5C6DB97C4434.jpeg
    3E0D0E8B-8E07-4225-A338-5C6DB97C4434.jpeg
    376.9 KB · Views: 3
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this option to you or not, (your post is a few months old), but what I do to provide calcium to my chickens is save their shells after eating an egg or egg. After you get a few saved, put them in the oven to bake on a flat pan for a few minutes at 350 degrees. This causes the shells to get brittle. Allow them to cool, then crush with a potato masher and feed the bits of shells back to the hens. They will gobble up the shells and get natural calcium from their own egg shells.
Thank you, I'm aware reusing their egg shells ... Having only 3 - 4 at a time I don't get the supply I need. As poster ^^^ states, they need more than what the shells provide and the absorption rate differs from supplements.

Back
Top Bottom