OYSTER SHELLS

Yikes. I just reordered shell from Amazon. The one they sell used to be little flakes about 1/8 inch diameter or so. This new bag has big flakes about 1/4 inch in diameter. You can't hide 1/4 inch pieces in their feed and expect them to eat it. They just pick around it. They do the same thing with the white rocks. I'm going back to using coral sand.
I don't know what quantity you're using at a time, but if you're wanting finer particles you can buy oyster shell meant for cage birds like finches and it's much smaller.

I'm not sure I understand why feeding their own shells would cause them to lose calcium? They free range, so yes they eat bugs, grass, weeds etc. Plus plenty of table scraps.

I'm not sure I understand why feeding their own shells would cause them to lose calcium? They free range, so yes they eat bugs, grass, weeds etc. Plus plenty of table scraps.
Because they can't absorb 100% of the calcium available in the eggshell, so if you have no additional source of calcium in their diet (i.e. layer feed) theoretically each time you feed the eggshells back, there's less calcium to absorb.

Because they also have to meet their own needs for their bones, etc. and because no process is 100% efficient.

UPDATE: You all have been informative and so very helpful :hugs
I've resorted to do as @rosemarythyme metioned :bowCollecting the dust from the 100% Oyster Shells (Scratch & Peck) sprinkling on my girls lunchtime refill of FF. 🤞So far no more soft egg shells from that hen🤞 When and ordered more OS to stock, it really would be nice if merchants would list "ingredients". I ordered a bag as it said "flaked" OS but hadn't seen the ingredients, when I got it noticed it's Oyster Shell & sea shells. Can't be returned but did find another vender that said 100% OS ... I waiting fort to arrive.

All mollusc shells are calcium in the same form. Shell is shell. :)
Yes it is however, the absorption rate differs from what I've been reading. We have opihi shells here but they're not so easy to come by anymore. Oyster Shells are thinner and thinking they break down faster. Also learned that some hen's just slower at absorbing the calcium from the shells.

I've always used 100% OS and never had an issue until our feed stores unable to get. The Manna Pro stuff is oyster shells/coral & the problem started. I prefer to stick to what I know works 100% OS ... I'm ok with change as long as it works.

Last edited:
We DIY our OS. Buy a dozen fresh Sydney Rock oysters every so often, and chug them down with a New Zealand sav blanc. Just so we can get those shells for our chookie babes. It's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it. ;)
How do you prepare/process the shells for the chicken consumption?
Got pics?

Back
Top Bottom