1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

oyster shells?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by shmooborp, Mar 29, 2008.

1. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

at what age can you start feeding pullets oyster shells? i heard that if you feed them them at to early of an age they can get sick o die:eek:

2. Gersbud

Gersbud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    I don't know if they can die or not but I always leave my oyster shell seperate from regular feed and they only eat it when they want to in the coop. This is with my regular hens and when I add pullets I don't remove it. None have died yet

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Normally people do not offer oyster shell until pullets start to lay or are approaching laying age.

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Mine got o-s quite a bit younger than that, but she'd already been eating sand and shellrock bits outside for sometime, being a feral.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, that's normal. Please learn that grit and oyster shells are totally different.

Grit is to help digest feed to the optimum level.

Oyster shell is fed to provide the calcium in the diet, that is needed from the stress of laying.

Both are important, however not related at all, and not to be confused as one or another.

bigzio

6. shmooborp

so i should give them grit now and oyster shell later? [​IMG]

7. petlove

petlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2008
    Skiatook, OK
    I need info on this topic, as well. With the starter chick crumbles do you need grit? I was under the assumption that you don't. Please advise.

8. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
  9. shmooborp

(to the post above) for mine i didnt give them grit i just added a bit of water to make its soft.. the LOVE it ... they attack it... i even did a test, i put dry in and wet in ad they all ran straight to the wet food. silly chickens! HAHA
    [​IMG]

10. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Most commercialy produced starter feed already contains grit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by