Pacific Northwest Gamebirds

Quote:
HE LIKELY HAS A SKIN INJURY... HAS BEEN SCALPED FROM 1 THING OR ANOTHER... THEY'RE PRETTY FLIGHTY AND CERTAINLY NOT THE SHARPEST KNIFE IN THE DRAWER BY NO MEANS... SHORT BUS KIDS OF THE GAMEBIRD WORLD
smile.png
MEANER THAN ALL GET OUT TO EACH OTHER TOO. HE MAY HAVE GOTTEN HIS BUTT TORE UP BY ANOTHER COCK BIRD BEFORE YOU RECEIVED HIM?? WITH THESE GUYS YOU NEVER KNOW.

AS ROZZIE STATES HE MAY NOT RE-FEATHER UNTIL NEXT MOLT, BUT IF SCARRING IS BAD ENOUGH HE MAY NEVER RE=FEATHER THAT AREA. STILL A PRETTY LAD THO. I HAVE A FEW GIRLS LIKE THAT... SCARRED FROM HEN CAT FIGHTS, JUST ADDED A NEW 1 TO THE LIST TONIGHT
he.gif
NASTY OTHER HEN SCALPED HER GOOD...

Quote:
HE LIKELY HAS A SKIN INJURY... HAS BEEN SCALPED FROM 1 THING OR ANOTHER... THEY'RE PRETTY FLIGHTY AND CERTAINLY NOT THE SHARPEST KNIFE IN THE DRAWER BY NO MEANS... SHORT BUS KIDS OF THE GAMEBIRD WORLD
smile.png
MEANER THAN ALL GET OUT TO EACH OTHER TOO. HE MAY HAVE GOTTEN HIS BUTT TORE UP BY ANOTHER COCK BIRD BEFORE YOU RECEIVED HIM?? WITH THESE GUYS YOU NEVER KNOW.

AS ROZZIE STATES HE MAY NOT RE-FEATHER UNTIL NEXT MOLT, BUT IF SCARRING IS BAD ENOUGH HE MAY NEVER RE=FEATHER THAT AREA. STILL A PRETTY LAD THO. I HAVE A FEW GIRLS LIKE THAT... SCARRED FROM HEN CAT FIGHTS, JUST ADDED A NEW 1 TO THE LIST TONIGHT
he.gif
NASTY OTHER HEN SCALPED HER GOOD...

You are right on with the "shortbus" comment. He is rather dumb. Violent little sucker too. Hence why we call him "Dinner", which is why we have him....

Petej-
I was looking at the photos... I think they are coturnix? Have to look again when I get home (photobucket is blocked from work)
but here is a photo of a button
64807_101_0865.jpg

notice my hand behind him.. I wear a size small for gloves.
Here is a young button almost full grown
64807_101_0748.jpg

Eggs *large brown chicken egg, coturnix, button is the tiny one
64807_101_0839.jpg

Chicks *striped and white one is coturnix the little one is a button 2-3 days older then the new hatched coturnix.
64807_101_0861.jpg

Hoping this button is a silver female to go with my randy Silver male
big_smile.png

64807_101_0761.jpg

*younger photo.. he's more silver and bib defined now

Hmmm.. I was going with what i was told. They may actually be Coturnix,

My eggs also match the coturnix eggs you have pitured here. I have Emailed the original owner ( My Father in Law( to verify this). Either way, they are neat little birds with lot's of personality....

I spoke to the Wife, she said that he told her a while ago that they were Coturnix.

Oooops....

So, they are Coturnix, but why do mine throw fits like Buttons?? Maybe it's time to handle them more.....

Last edited:
Quote:
If they are indeed Coturnix then all ya have to do is feed them by hand before you fill the feeder. Mine got really tame by eating from my hands.. even jumping into my hands to get feed first!

Some are flighty/jumpy... if you'd like some more I have a bunch of mine in the bator.. testing fertility and colors with my winter pen mix.
I like hatching babies and seeing what natural selection brings from my winter mixes.

*in the winter I toss em all into a large single pen, come spring I pull the best of my breeders and the best of my grow-outs and match up in the breeder cages. This allows me to control colors and sizes as I tend to cull the little ones and non producers as well as the mean old roos!
big_smile.png

I got a message back from my Father in Law. They are indeed Coturnix!

I have noticed in the last few days, they have been becoming more and more "used to" my presence. I have one the lets me pet it now....

I have about a dozen of their eggs in the incubator now. I also have a rabbit hutch outside that I may turn into an indoor Quail cage for the winter. Even with the heat lamp, they are huddling together all fluffed and shivering at night.....

Last edited:
Quote:
Coturnix can take really low temps but has to have a gradual decline so not to cold shock them.
They also need to have a place that is wind/rain proof.
In the winter I pile them all into one large pen that is covered with a tarp and has straw bedding on 1/4 of the wire floor.
In the spring-early fall I have them in my breeder cages which is solid on 3 sides and roofed. *shelter with individual cages on shelving... Guess I should take pictures this spring
big_smile.png

I found out about the cold this year with the sudden frigid temps that hit Seattle area..
It got into the low teens/high singles F at my house and I only lost 1 hen
(possibly from cold shock since I could find no other reason for the death).

had to be a hen... could not have been one of the stupid cocks..
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom