1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Pack attack?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Camelot Farms, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

This is curious... Went out this morning to check on things at the barn. Thought it was awfully quiet as usually my call ducks are hollering at the front door by now.

I see the ducks on the edge of the pond, very quiet, very still. Hmmmm. I count. I count again. Missing 7 calls and a mama mallard who had been raising her babies on the pond.

A Heron flew over the pond and the remaining ducks dove for cover under the picnic table, obviously traumatized. There are no feathers, no signs of chaos. The dogs didnt bark last night. What would have come in and snatched so many at once? I cant see a coon doing this. The birds free range and should have had no trouble getting away from one predator.

All I can envision is 4 or 5 sneaky coyote coming in to the yard and each running off with a duck in their mouth. But, I have never known coyote to hunt in a pack, come into our yard or be so successful in one hunting venture. Even if a mama brought her pups in for a hunt, they shouldnt have been able to make such a clean get away with so many.

Any thoughts?

2. sharol

sharol Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I've seen coyotes hunt in packs of 4 or 5 in Kansas. They live in family groups and hunt together. I suspect (if you have coyotes in the neighborhood) that was what happened. They are very fast and quiet when they attack. They celebrate later nearer their hideout.

Quote:

3. zazouse

zazouse Crowing

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Sounds like a big cat they are very quite, they can sneek up on a duck in the night and kill them in an instant,no noise,hence no dogs barking, i have had it happen at my pond and i have the best dogs anyone could ask for as flock protection.

[​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hopefully most of them are hiding someplace and will return. Is there any way that you can round up the survivors and pen them up until you resolve this problem? Good luck, sadly enough whatever it is will be back.

5. woodmort

woodmort Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Coyote pups are being taught to hunt this time of year so the family may be extending their territory.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: