Packing birds for the freezer?

Etorb1

Songster
Jun 24, 2020
What is the best way to pack while chickens for the freezer. The processor I will use just puts them in clear plastic bags. Should I try and use a food saver or something similar? The birds are 9 weeks Cornish cross so fairly large. Thanks.

We do about 50 a year and we use to vacuum seal them all but since switched to shrink wrapping them. We were having to many problems with the vacuum seal bags breaking their seal. Not an issue with shrink wrapping bags.

Last edited:
What do you mean by plastic bags? Like, loosely piled into a bag? Do you get them back chilled but not frozen? I assume you must since you're asking...

I just started using the shrink wrap bags and they're really great. You can vacuum seal them, but if they're big you'll probably need the big gusseted bags, and they're pricy. I do vacuum seal when I part them out, but for whole, shrink wrap is really the way to go.

What do you mean by plastic bags? Like, loosely piled into a bag? Do you get them back chilled but not frozen? I assume you must since you're asking...

I just started using the shrink wrap bags and they're really great. You can vacuum seal them, but if they're big you'll probably need the big gusseted bags, and they're pricy. I do vacuum seal when I part them out, but for whole, shrink wrap is really the way to go.
Yes they are in large plastic bags with a ziptie. I am going to try vacuum sealing tonight since I couldn’t get my hands on the heat shrink bags soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom