Packing Peanut question

CARS

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 24, 2009
Saint James/ Comfrey MN
I have a question that I can't find an answer to.

Quite often I see people talking about packing peanuts, and I understand their purpose. Heat.

What I don't understand is, in every catalog I have (about 6) they list minimums. For example, one hatchery says that you need 15 Turkeys, 25 chickens, or 100 quail (some may be mixed and matched to fill order) to assure safe arrival.

Why do you get peanuts? How do you get away from the minimums?

Why would a hatchery do this? "I only want 6 chicks, could you throw 9 peanuts in for free?" Just doesn't make since to me.

The peanuts are unwanted/unsellable males that would be culled otherwise. Its actually a humane thing for them to do. Its fun to try and figure out what they sent as peanuts when you get a delivery.

Quote:
I understand that. What I don't understand is why a hatchery lets anyone get away from the minimums? It seems like a ploy to get free chicks
hmm.png

Ideal Hatchery actually has no minimum number of chicks, just a minimum purchase of $20. So I ordered 3 chicks, and some posters to raise the total cost. I got 8 packing peanuts with my order.

Quote:
I understand that. What I don't understand is why a hatchery lets anyone get away from the minimums? It seems like a ploy to get free chicks
hmm.png

We have ordered chicks a couple if times. I have used MMH. They have the minimums that you mentioned in your first post. When we have ordered exactly the minimum, we did not get any packing peanuts. But when I ordered 5 to 10 more then said minimum, I ended up with 15 or more packing peanuts. Seems like they are shipped in groups of 25 (for chicks), so it is best to think about that when ordering to avoid have LOTS of extra "peanuts". Hope this helps!

Does any body know if i will get packing peanuts with an order of 8 from my pet chicken. I want to be prepared for when they come. you know more feed, bigger brooder that sort of thing. And what should i do with them if i get anyway.

When I ordered from My Pet Chicken I did not get any peanuts (I ordered 6). They use a heating disc to keep the box nice and toasty so you aren't dependent solely on chick body heat in winter.

Just like you get roos for pullets (sexing is 80-90% accurate), you will also get pullets for roos in the same ratio.

Back
Top Bottom