1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Packing peanuts, what are they?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by havi, Feb 17, 2009.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I know these are more then likely males, but Im still curious what they are. They are the little black ones. I know what they others are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RedHead

RedHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    East Lake, NC
    some kind of black sex link maybe? [​IMG]

3. LMEggs

LMEggs Show Me Feathers Poultry CO

May 4, 2008
    Barred rocks or sex links! I'm leaning toward Barred rocks they are a great breed! cockerals or pullets. Cockerals are meaty birds they will be good to fry if you get all cockerals

4. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Barred rocks or sex links. Those telltale white spots likely mean roos if so.:<))

5. summerb76

summerb76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Lake Como, Florida
    They are exactly like my barred rocks. My black sex link were solid black, no white at all, so I dont think they are sex links.

6. LMEggs

LMEggs Show Me Feathers Poultry CO

May 4, 2008
    all barred rocks have white spots on their heads and wings that does not mean that they are all cockerals.

7. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    Look like Barred Rocks to me.

8. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Okay with BRs is it easy to sex them? Im about to give these away and if I could tell if one was a female or not I might keep a few. But I already have one roo and cant have anymore.

9. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Since they are packing peanuts then they are most likely barred rocks. Sex-links are often sold as girls; If these were sex-links then they would be all black. So, IMO you have some barred rock cockerels.

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I would bet they are sex-link males. Male black sex-links have the spot on their heads, that's how they can separate them out from the females. It is also possible they are barred rocks, though. I don't think it's really easy to see the difference between a sex-link male and a barred rock male until they are older (the sex-link boys usually have some reddish feathering mixed in with the barring).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by