Packing Peanuts

Hennyetta

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 29, 2013
Any guesses on the breed of my packing peanuts? I have eight of them, and here's a picture of one with a couple of my banties. He's the big one in the back, obviously!
tongue.png

Last edited:
They do look like they could be. So hard to tell with all the different chicks that are about the same color!

The black one is a cute little Cochin! Not sure about the others, red chickens all look the same to me when they're babies
smile.png

Nikki

I know what the bantams are. Just wondering about my packing peanuts.
smile.png

Kind of, but I think RIRs are darker than these guys.

They're getting their wing feathers, and it looks like they are kind of a buff color with some black.

I don't know why I didn't think of this when I posted the first time, but....
When I ordered from Ideal last year I got like 20 red packing peanuts. They feathered in a buffish/pale red color with a sort of partridgy pattern at first. Then when they moulted the next time, their new feathers came in red. They ended up being production red roosters, every one of them. They made fantastic BBQ chicken for our very large, annual 4th of July cookout that year. If you don't have room for a bunch of boys (which they likely all are), sell them while they're cute! Nobody wanted mine when they were out of the fuzzy stage, which is why I butchered them- which is also an option if you're up for that sort of thing. Good luck!
Nikki

Last edited:
Any guesses on the breed of my packing peanuts? I have eight of them, and here's a picture of one with a couple of my banties. He's the big one in the back, obviously!
tongue.png

The little black one looks like an australop chick possibly

The one in the middle looks like one of the 4 packing peanuts we recieved and ours ended up being road island red roosters.

I don't know why I didn't think of this when I posted the first time, but....
When I ordered from Ideal last year I got like 20 red packing peanuts. They feathered in a buffish/pale red color with a sort of partridgy pattern at first. Then when they moulted the next time, their new feathers came in red. They ended up being production red roosters, every one of them. They made fantastic BBQ chicken for our very large, annual 4th of July cookout that year. If you don't have room for a bunch of boys (which they likely all are), sell them while they're cute! Nobody wanted mine when they were out of the fuzzy stage, which is why I butchered them- which is also an option if you're up for that sort of thing. Good luck!
Nikki

I'm thinking they might be production reds, as well, after googling some pics. Good to know they made good eating. I'd like to sell them or give them away, but if I can't I guess I'll make room for them and take them to be butchered when they're big enough.

The one in the middle looks like one of the 4 packing peanuts we recieved and ours ended up being road island red roosters.

That's my next guess, I think, after production reds.

I was hoping they'd be Orpingtons or some dual-purpose breed at least. Oh, well! Hopefully I can get rid of them before they're very big.

Back
Top Bottom