1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pads of my meat chickens feet are black. Safe to eat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by WoodChic, Oct 27, 2009.

1. WoodChic

WoodChic The Chic Chick

Oct 27, 2009
    KKV HQ
    We slaughtered the last of our meat birds yesderday, and noticed that some of them had black on the pads of their feet. The black was about twice the size of a dime, and scabby. Sorry I don't have any pictures. They're already dead. [​IMG] What is the black, and are they safe to eat? Thank you for whatever response. [​IMG]

2. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Look up bumblefoot on this forum and see if it looks like that.

3. WoodChic

WoodChic The Chic Chick

Oct 27, 2009
    KKV HQ
    Hmmmm..... I don't think it's that..... It didn't seem to be very scabby. They were extremely heavy, and did not roam. They were in a drag, which we moved, about every-other-day. When we didn't, They were pretty much standing in they're own poop. I didn't notice any limping, and they seemed pretty healthy. ????? [​IMG]
    I'll try and provide some pix. Thanks!

4. hildymarie

hildymarie Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    da UP of Michigan
    Some of ours did that but it just seemed to be like calluses from walking around and yes in their own poop. It didt matter that they were moved daily, they still had so much poop that they walked around in it. Of course ours were like 20 weeks or so and were more like turkeys. If you are eating the feet, scald and peel them. If you are not eating the feet it prolly dont mean anything.
    jmho

5. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    It's a slight case of foot rot. When they stand in their own manure they tend to burn out their pads so to speak. Best way to avoid it is to move them more often or to put more bedding down.

The meat is ok to eat.... wouldn't use the feet though.

6. WoodChic

WoodChic The Chic Chick

Oct 27, 2009
    KKV HQ
    Of course ours were like 20 weeks or so and were more like turkeys.

Your meat birds sound allot like ours! [​IMG]

Thank you all so much for your advice. It was really helpfull! [​IMG]

7. bryan8

bryan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Burns from the poo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by