Pads of my meat chickens feet are black. Safe to eat?

WoodChic

The Chic Chick
10 Years
Oct 27, 2009
KKV HQ
We slaughtered the last of our meat birds yesderday, and noticed that some of them had black on the pads of their feet. The black was about twice the size of a dime, and scabby. Sorry I don't have any pictures. They're already dead.
hmm.png
What is the black, and are they safe to eat? Thank you for whatever response.
smile.png

Hmmmm..... I don't think it's that..... It didn't seem to be very scabby. They were extremely heavy, and did not roam. They were in a drag, which we moved, about every-other-day. When we didn't, They were pretty much standing in they're own poop. I didn't notice any limping, and they seemed pretty healthy. ?????
hu.gif

I'll try and provide some pix. Thanks!

Some of ours did that but it just seemed to be like calluses from walking around and yes in their own poop. It didt matter that they were moved daily, they still had so much poop that they walked around in it. Of course ours were like 20 weeks or so and were more like turkeys. If you are eating the feet, scald and peel them. If you are not eating the feet it prolly dont mean anything.
jmho

It's a slight case of foot rot. When they stand in their own manure they tend to burn out their pads so to speak. Best way to avoid it is to move them more often or to put more bedding down.

The meat is ok to eat.... wouldn't use the feet though.

Of course ours were like 20 weeks or so and were more like turkeys.

Your meat birds sound allot like ours!
yippiechickie.gif

Thank you all so much for your advice. It was really helpfull!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom