Paint Showgirl Thread

I now have a nice true black Silkie cockerel that came from Aaron Hunsinger stock, in an exclusive pen with a pretty Paint Silkie from Shanya's eggs, as well as another group of birds that includes a Paint Silkie, two Paint Showgirls, and a Black Showgirl. These younger birds are from Shayna's Paint Silkie x Paint Showgirl eggs, but I'm not certain who is going to lay or crow yet. They are about 5 months old now, so it shouldn't be long. Black over Paint should improve type considerably (that Black cockerel is fantastically compact and has great stance and cushion, feet, skin, comb, eyes), even if I end up with mostly Silkies and have to cross back to Showgirls for naked necks.

I am going to do some test sets to see what's up with that Black Showgirl that came from Paint eggs, regardless of it's sex.
1.) is this bird a paint carrier?
A.) will breed with true Black cockerel, if female. Any resulting Paint babies will indicate that the black Showgirl carries paint genes.
B.) will breed with recessive White hen if male. This should throw mostly white babies, but if ANY paints show up, will know Black Showgirl carries.

Hopefully the two young Paint Showgirls turn out to be female. If not, Re may be up for sale if one or the other looks nicer than he. He has no real faults hat I can see, and has a good personality, but he DID have a couple siblings that were pink-skinned, nearly LF qualifiers that were sent to pet homes, and I think he carries a Partridge gene that I don't want to have to worry about. He's produced some GORGEOUS Partridge babies with a recessive White and a Paint mate, a passes REALLY good dark skin with few pigment holes at hatch. All of those pigment holes closed up within a week. Let me know if you might be interested in him (scroll back for some pics), ASAP. An auction for him should be interesting, but I can just send you a price for him if you already are looking for a nice paint showgirl roo.

I'll post some pics of this new group soon, as well as the results of my test sets.

Last edited:
Hello, Not sure I like the temperaments of the showgirl roosters compared to the sweet silkie roos. I have snow white showgirl cockerel and he seems aggressive with the hens by biting! He is beautiful but his frustration causes him to bite one of the girls.

I have a question about breeding to get the paint coloring in a showgirl.
Right now I have a white showgirl Roo that I can breed with paint showgirls or black hens that came from paint roo. Would I get any paint showgirls out of test combos? I really would like some of this roos offsprin. Hen is my house showgirl. :)

Last edited:
Guess this paint showgirl thread never took off ! :(
I bred my white showgirl Roo to a paint silkie and got a paint silkie and paint showgirl. Unfortunately st the silkie during pipping. More in bator.. can't wait.

Here is my best one

I hope this thread can be revived! I just bought five paint showgirls who are still small at 8 weeks old. Don't know what genders are yet but it doesn't matter since I have silkies to experiment with.

Here are my little jewels
bb99a5ec1df6816a4554ebee718a4f17.jpg

4598b35958c925ff8e6fedaa61a9d368.jpg

f2e1c129ff3aae36224b5b3924f48e93.jpg

5ce196febdd4092aee99afbbcdadf288.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom