PAINT SILKIES!?!?!

I just dropped an Ameracana egg, shipped of course, on its way to the incubator.
he.gif

So now I am just feeling happy that I didn't pay hundreds of dollars for it. I realize those paints were chickens, not eggs, but I'll bet you would pay gazillions for the eggs, too.

All I wanted was a few fresh eggs...

Catherine

What is this then? It sure looks like paint. If it is paint, then it is recessive. You can see the base color (probably BBR) showing through and he might have the mottled gene too as many American gamefowl do (which show on the tailfeathers). I find it extremely interesting. While I did not think it was that big of a deal when it showed up in my blacks and white, I have a great deal of respect for those who breed for it. If they can get $1000 + for them, why not?

SDC10087.JPG

These are not mine (though I wish). This line always breeds true though and always produces this color. The paints I have are purebred silkies. I bought them from a seller on eggbid six years ago. I read that only paints can come from paints but possibly they are genetically paint and appear solid. I only got the paint when I bred sister to brother. The sad part is I tossed or ate many an egg that they produced. I can probably backtrack through my eggbid feedback and find the seller I bought them from. There were white and black eggs mixed in the same box that I got from her.

Here is the group of buffs, ginger reds, partridge, whites and the paint. You can see that he is a white chick with black patches. Definintely not splash.

AlfiesBrood.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom