PAINT SILKIES!?!?!

folks like that don't have jobs! hahaha
lol.png

1,004.99 USD !
ep.gif

I cannot imagine paying that amount for birds. But I guess if it is something you really want and can afford, go for it! I am sure the person that bought these will make their money back eventually by selling offspring and eggs. They are unusal and beautiful birds.

I was playing around on the Chicken Calculator and I bred a Splash to a Blue Mottled and got a Splash Mottled the Pic on the website resembled a Paint. Is this the Genetic Combination to get them?

No; paints do not carry the blue gene. All offspring from a splash has at least one copy. When bred to a blue half will have two copies. Splash are Bl/Bl; blues are Bl/bl+; paints are bl+/bl+

The exact genetic composition of paints is unknown; they do carry dominant white, but at least one source I read said that they are not related to exchequer legnorns. However, since the original paints came about from a cross to a leghorn, I am not sure how much weight to give that statement. I do not think one could re-create them without knowing their genetic composition; however, my best guess is to cross to an exchequer leghorn and in about 10 years you may have something similar (that is about how long they are already into development).

edited to add: If at some point I decide to get paints, I would not try to recreate them. DItto for showgirls or any other breed or variety that is already many generations into development.

Last edited:
I was wondering about the genetics myself. There are only six feather patterns in chickens so I am thinking it is a maximally expressed mottling or speckling gene. They are genetically solid colored birds, not white. The paint Silkies I have cropped up by accident from a brother and sister mating (white X black) and they are NOT splash. The chicks look like normal white Silkies with black patches. I was not even trying to breed for them and find it no big deal. I would never pay that kind of money for them.

Back
Top Bottom