Painting inside of coop - can i mix paint and primer and save a step?

foxinachickenhouse

Songster
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
Oregon
Painting inside of coop after mite infestation. chickens are washed and dusted, that was yesterday. They spent the night in the basement. I bleached the coop yesterday too. Now I need to paint. It's raw wood inside. Hoping that I can save a step, mix paint and primer and go to town. Any thoughts? Clearly I dont care how it looks. Just trying to git 'er done.
I have kilz primer and some other types as well.

The purpose of primer is to seal the timber, to prevent bleeding from the timber and "fill in the minor imperfections" so that your top coat is a smoother texture.
If there no need to worry about above - just miss the primer step and put the top coat paint straight on!
That's my thought on it.
smile.png

Whenever I've tried to paint raw wood with top coat alone the wood just soaks it up, thus the primer for this job. Joe- I think you read the title right..? Does it not seem right? I'm painting the inside of coop for cleanability and so I can see mites better for next time. Also trying to decrease # of hiding spaces.

I don't think you'd be gaining anything by mixing the primer and the regular topcoat. The wood is going to soak up whatever you put on it first, primer or topcoat. You'll probably need to use a second coat of whatever to get good coverage and a smooth finish, if that's important.

If it was me, I'd use the Kilz first and see how good a job it does, and whether you even need to go back over for a second coat of whatever paint you have. I used Kilz on my plywood coop floor: one coat, and it wasn't perfect but it was ok since I was putting sand down over it anyway.

By the way, don't forget to retreat in about a week or so to make sure you get all the mites that hatch out from eggs left behind before your first treatment.

I have painted for years and even run a paint store.

Primer is a special coating made to coat bare surfaces.
It is mostly glue so it sticks really well.
The primer then forms a chemical bond with the paint so that the paint sticks even better.

You can paint with just paint. It just will not last as long.

Mixing primer and paint would mess up the paint so it would not last as long.

There are some paint and primer in one products out there and they are great.

Also keep in mind that some colors like red will need several coats and a special colored primer.

Thanks all. I primed with Kilz and then painted. And then.. are you ready for this... I pulled the gallon of $5 mis-tinted paint that I had set aside for this project and read the can, "paint and primer in one" is what it said. Well, either way it is done and a lovely shade of yellow I might add. The girls seem pleased. Roo couldn't care less.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom