Painting nesting boxes

cottonwood23

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2016
Appling, Georgia
I have a couple make shift wood nesting boxes with legs that stand about 2 feet tall with a ramp and board out front of them.. I was wondering if it would be OK to (1) spray paint the boxes to help seal them (2) make them a little more appealing (3) make it darker for them to lay in

Sounds good to me, just make sure they air out well before they go into use. Chickens have delicate respiratory systems, fumes could be risky, especially in an enclosed nest. But once they are aired out and no fumes are being given off it should be great.

i sealed mine makes it much easier to clean but i used a exterior paint not spray paint.. i know i personally can't stand the fumes and in a enclosed space i don't think the chickens would either.. but sealing is a good idea keeps the nesting boxes so much cleaner!

oh and even after the spray paint has dried the paint continues to off gas for a long time after. so i would stay away from the spray paint.

I used a porch/ floor paint cause thats what I had on hand. But I would use any latex exterior paint, you can get it at a hardware store... There are almost no fumes and it will be much better for you and your chicks lungs :)

I used a porch/ floor paint cause thats what I had on hand. But I would use any latex exterior paint, you can get it at a hardware store... There are almost no fumes and it will be much better for you and your chicks lungs :)

If you are really concerned look for a "Low VOC" exterior paint.  Home Depot and I am sure that Lowe's would have it available.  A latex enamel would be a great choice.

Thanks for the info that's what I will have to get

Back
Top Bottom