Painting the coop

Jul 22, 2021
We found 2 buckets of light tan exterior paint in the oops paint section so I got it originally to paint a picnic bench and whatever miscellaneous projects. I want to paint the outside of the coop but my husband says to leave it plain wood cause the paint will trap heat in. Is this really an issue of paint causing more heat? Im concerned that between the rain and heat here (southern AZ) the boards will warp very quickly and I'd like to preserve it as long as possible. Another question I have is about painting the roosting bars, they are 2×4's and I sanded them to prevent splinters, again my husband says no paint in the coop cause they'll scratch it off and eat it. I like the idea of painting them as with the picnic bench, anything and everything wipes off really easily and since its waterproof, soaking it hasn't caused any warping and I figured it would be great to be able to wipe down the roosting bars as needed if they happen to poop on them. Is he overreacting or am I trying to do too much?

I agree that painting the coop to protect the wood is a good idea. All of mine are painted -- except the newest one, which is waiting for me to apply some Thompson's Water Seal to all the overly expensive lumber I had to buy this spring.

I understand wanting to paint the roosts to make it easier to clean, but I also think it would make them too slippery for the chickens.

It's fine to pain the coop. Paint protects wood.

I wouldn't paint perches though. I'd think it would make them slippery and uncomfortable to use.
Will I have to sand the perches often? I'll add a picture from the baby coop where they started pecking the wood of the upper level, I think it was out of boredom while I got their run completed and they stopped once I started putting them in the run daily. The new coop is attached to the run so unless I have to keep them in from rain or something I don't think it should be a problem but they splintered the board pretty good in just 3 days, Idk if it's something chickens generally do or just from being cooped up too long. I'd pull off the long splinters and sand it and find more pecked out the next day, I was worried someone would lose an eye or something, they can be quite destructive but I'm glad it was the board that took the beating instead of a chicken.
20210722_094655.jpg

Maybe they're part woodpecker lol, I was told speckled sussex are full of energy and curious which can get them into trouble, I didn't expect this though.

Maybe they're part woodpecker lol, I was told speckled sussex are full of energy and curious which can get them into trouble, I didn't expect this though.

I know that any animal that's unable, for some reason or another, to express it's natural, instinctive behavior will develop some kind of substitute behavior.

Maybe they pecked at what was available because they weren't able to scratch and peck outdoors?

Hopefully the destructive behavior won't continue.

Back
Top Bottom