Pairing a goose with a gander

GooseMom27

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2021
NH
I have a young goose that I raised to pair with my gander. Unfortunately my gander has been a single man for far too long and is aggressive towards her. Mating season is over but yet he still feels the need to chase her and pin her down. I know this is somewhat normal, but the problem is, he's far too aggressive about it and ends up hurting her and ripping her feathers out. Their pens are separated by a chain link (he still tries to go after her through that), and I often let them free roam together. When they're loose, she can run from him, but sometimes he out smarts her and corners her. All I want is to be able to pen them together and let them live happily ever after. Is there any hope?

I have a young goose that I raised to pair with my gander. Unfortunately my gander has been a single man for far too long and is aggressive towards her. Mating season is over but yet he still feels the need to chase her and pin her down. I know this is somewhat normal, but the problem is, he's far too aggressive about it and ends up hurting her and ripping her feathers out. Their pens are separated by a chain link (he still tries to go after her through that), and I often let them free roam together. When they're loose, she can run from him, but sometimes he out smarts her and corners her. All I want is to be able to pen them together and let them live happily ever after. Is there any hope?

There's hope, but it will take time. I would keep them separated yet able to see one another until he starts courting her. You don't want the aggression to become a habit.
I thought there might be hope at first, but they've been "neighbors" since June 27th. Should it really take that long? My goal was to have them moved in together before snow fall, it's starting to not look likely.

You may have to wait till late winter. My gander hadn't seen another goose for 5 yrs. he was hatched and lived with my Muscovy, I brought home my female when she was 4 months old he was 5 yrs. He would chase her away and scare the dickens out of her, It wasn't until the breeding season that he became interested in her, and breeding sealed the relationship. They have been together for 9 yrs now. I fixed their house where they could sleep in the same coop together but he couldn't get to her. Amazing what you can do with spare fencing.

Last edited:
You may have to wait till late winter. My gander hadn't seen another goose for 5 yrs. he was hatched and lived with my Muscovy, I brought home my female when she was 4 months old he was 5 yrs. He would chase her away and scare the dickens out of her, It wasn't until the breeding season that he became interested in her, and breeding sealed the relationship. They have been together for 9 yrs now. I fixed their house where they could sleep in the same coop together but he couldn't get to her. Amazing what you can do with spare fencing.
Thank you! That gives me hope! Fingers crossed till Spring. For now they live together but separated by chicken wire

Back
Top Bottom