pairs for eggs to incubate or let duck raise them

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ppimf, Nov 16, 2012.

1. ppimf

ppimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2012
    ellis kansas
    i got a pair of fawn runners
    2 rouen ducks and 1 rouen drake
    a pair of pekins
    i want to either hatch there eggs but not sure if i sould let them mother -if they will ? or just incubate them and how big would there pens have to be if i was to lock the seperate breeds up to make sure they will not be a mix .and when sould i seperate them ? this will only be my 2 nd year with ducks so i'm learning as i go. thanks in advance for your help and ideas

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Pen size recommendation from Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks is 10 to 25 square feet per duck. The 10 feet is if they have a large open area like pasture during the day, 25 if they don't.

You may have good mothers, you may not. You won't know until you try. You could see if they will sit, and have an incubator ready to go if needed. I have one runner who goes seriously broody. A few others get a little broody. Most of them not at all.

I have not bred ducks yet, myself, so I hope some breeders will check in.

g'nite.

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    You separate 1 month (30 days) before you want pure bred eggs and to know who the parents are.

4. sherrik9

sherrik9 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2012
    Lake Tapps, WA
    I read that sperm can stay viable in a duck for 3 weeks. Is that true and if so at what point do you let the duck go broody or collect for incubation? Thanks

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    You separate the ducks into their own yards 30 days before you plan to collect eggs to incubate as stated above

6. ppimf

ppimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2012
    ellis kansas
    will rouen and runners and pekins raise there own? and how do u know when they go broody?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by