Pale comb and molting - Im clueless

Shannon, I think what you are experiencing with your birds is all quite natural. During moult, it is very common for the bird's comb to turn pale. They have shut down their lay cycle to allow their body to develop and grow new feathers. This is all very hard on birds and they just need time to come through it. A vitamin supplement is a good idea when they go through a late moult like this and I would encourage it. A late moult is not unusual and I have 2 buff orps who are finally going through their moults. Otherwise, I would not change a thing until her moult is complete. Then reassess their condition and overall appearance.

Thank you. I will continue with the DE and sunflower seeds and am going to try to pick up a supplement today, and keep my eyes open for some pumpkin seeds - my son likes those too!

Glad to know the moulting is normal, of course we have such crazy weather around here: a week of rain then 70 two days ago and 12 and sunny this morning. I guess it is confusing on there entire systems - I know it is on mine!

Back
Top Bottom