Pale Comb Hen Lethargic

olayak

Songster
7 Years
Jul 26, 2012
New York
Hi, 13 week old Cornish X hen that we recently adopted (yes, she was overfed and we're working on her losing weight), who has a pale comb, is lethargic, not moving much since this morning. Is drinking water but is eating very little. She has never laid an egg before, I can't tell if she is egg-bound because she's so fat. My others were tested for coccidiosis, but not sure if she was (I was told that she was, but no paperwork), don't see blood in stool. I put her in a tub of warm water with Epsom salt for about 20 minutes and she was moving her vent like she was trying to expel something, but nothing came out. Do you think she's egg bound? Any advice? I would take her to an emergency vet but not sure if I can find an emergency avian vet around here that is open on a sunday night!!

(These are COMPANION ANIMALS at a SANCTUARY and, yes, I know plenty of Cornish X that live to 5 yrs or more if kept a healthy weight. My other Cornish X are super healthy! I know many people have opinions on Cornish, but please, I don't need to hear, again, how they die early. I need advice how to help my hen! Thanks!)

Last edited:
Hi, 12 week old Cornish X hen that we recently adopted (yes, she was overfed and we're working on her losing weight), who has a pale comb, is lethargic, not moving much since this morning. Is drinking water but is eating very little. She has never laid an egg before, I can't tell if she is egg-bound because she's so fat. My others were tested for coccidiosis, but not sure if she was (I was told that she was, but no paperwork), don't see blood in stool. I put her in a tub of warm water with Epsom salt for about 20 minutes and she was moving her vent like she was trying to expel something, but nothing came out. Do you think she's egg bound? Any advice? I would take her to an emergency vet but not sure if I can find an emergency avian vet around here that is open on a sunday night!!

(These are COMPANION ANIMALS at a SANCTUARY and, yes, I know plenty of Cornish X that live to 5 yrs or more if kept a healthy weight. My other Cornish X are super healthy! I know many people have opinions on Cornish, but please, I don't need to hear, again, how they die early. I need advice how to help my hen! Thanks!)
Chickens can die from being overweight, sadly, I've seen it before. Feel around between her legs for a lump. If there is one that means she's egg bound. Also, since she's younger she's not at laying egg, I doubt she's egg bound. Sometimes in cocci, you don't see the bloody poop until it's too late. Is her poop watery? That could be a sign. There's also a possibility of a parasite infection. Sorry that I couldn't answer in more details. Maybe a picture of her? Wishing you luck! :)

That does help, I couldn't feel an egg, but she's so fat I can't be sure. I have had pigeons for over 10 years, so that's much easier for me. You have been a big help! We're keeping her inside in a warm brooder for the night, with her own water and food and trying to find a vet for tonight or tomorrow. Thank you!

That does help, I couldn't feel an egg, but she's so fat I can't be sure. I have had pigeons for over 10 years, so that's much easier for me. You have been a big help! We're keeping her inside in a warm brooder for the night, with her own water and food and trying to find a vet for tonight or tomorrow. Thank you!
Thank you! Hoping nothing seriously wrong will happen, and I'm glad you have her under heat. Putting some vitamins such as nutri drench in her water might help as well, or even some oregano leaves steeped in water.

Also, if her poop is runny I would suggest going to tractor supply and getting some Corid. That goes in their water and is perfectly safe to use. 7 days on with that being her only water supply will be good. I had a baby chick who ended up with cocci (not exactly sure how), and I put her and the rest of the flock on Corid for a week. Within a day or two she was much livelier and started eating actual chick feed vs. scrambled eggs and oatmeal. She ended up making it, but again, I'm not sure if your poor girl has cocci. Anyways, the Corid would be a good idea, but of course, listen to what your vet says!

Also, if her poop is runny I would suggest going to tractor supply and getting some Corid. That goes in their water and is perfectly safe to use. 7 days on with that being her only water supply will be good. I had a baby chick who ended up with cocci (not exactly sure how), and I put her and the rest of the flock on Corid for a week. Within a day or two she was much livelier and started eating actual chick feed vs. scrambled eggs and oatmeal. She ended up making it, but again, I'm not sure if your poor girl has cocci. Anyways, the Corid would be a good idea, but of course, listen to what your vet says!
Good idea! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom