Pale Comb Hen Lethargic

Glad to hear she's drinking! I hope she'll eat something, and I know chickens don't really eat while they're sick. Uncooked or cooked oatmeal both work, and check out my article for a recipe that I use for oatmeal that has spices in it that will help boost her immune system. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-oatmeal-recipe-for-chickens.74487/ :)
Thank you! Yes, she's a Cornish X with a plate full of food in front of her and she's not eating at all. She's also not pooping now, which also has me a little concerned. I'm about to give her scrambled eggs but will also try the oatmeal recipe! I love it!!

Thank you! Yes, she's a Cornish X with a plate full of food in front of her and she's not eating at all. She's also not pooping now, which also has me a little concerned. I'm about to give her scrambled eggs but will also try the oatmeal recipe! I love it!![/QUOTE
As she's not eating, I think that if she did poop it would be small or runny. Keep an eye out though! Her poo will really help with a better diagnosis, and if you do manage to find a vet, they'll probably ask what it looks like. :)

She loved the scrambled egg with water! But now it sounds like she's having a little difficulty breathing, she pauses in between bites and takes a wheezing breath. I didn't notice this before! Poor little girl!

I'm now wondering if it's Ascites, due to her Cornish X breed. We've only had her for two weeks but she was doing great up until today! She came from the same shelter as all my other chickens, they were all chicks together, but we picked up the boys early on and got her and her sister afterward. Fortunately, they're all doing fine, although her sister is even fatter than she is (we are working on it!)

Last edited:
I don’t know if you could get an antibiotic tonight or not but would give if could. If not vet ASAP in am. Other things to rule out AI Avian flu and END Exotic Newcastle disease.

Thank you! She's not waking around but she ate up the egg and drank lots of water so hopefully she can wait for the vet in the morning! Unfortunately there aren't many emergency avian vets near us

13 week old Cornish X hen that we recently adopted (yes, she was overfed and we're working on her losing weight), who has a pale comb, is lethargic, not moving much since this morning. Is drinking water but is eating very little. She has never laid an egg before, I can't tell if she is egg-bound because she's so fat.

Thank you! Yes, she's a Cornish X with a plate full of food in front of her and she's not eating at all. She's also not pooping now, which also has me a little concerned. I'm about to give her scrambled eggs but will also try the oatmeal recipe! I love it!!

She loved the scrambled egg with water! But now it sounds like she's having a little difficulty breathing, she pauses in between bites and takes a wheezing breath. I didn't notice this before! Poor little girl!

I'm sorry to hear about your pullet.
I would not worry about the eating, she does need to stay hydrated. Check her crop first thing in the morning before she has had anything to eat/drink - it should be completely empty or flat.

The wheezing is concerning - it could be Ascites since she is an overweight CornishX, do you feel bloat/fluid in the abdomen? Crop issues can sometime cause a bit of wheezing as well, if she is laying down eating/drinking, she can easily aspirate food/water into her airway. Respiratory illness is also a possibility, but I would investigate other avenues if she does not have mucous or watery eyes.

Coccidiosis is something that I would also consider since she is new to you.

If you have photos of her and her poop that you would like to share, we will be happy to take a look.

So vet said it may be Marek's! Another one of our chickens can't walk either. The others seem totally fine. The two unwell ones are inside now, in chicken slings . They're eating and drinking and seem pretty comfortable. Fingers crossed they recover!

Attachments

• IMG_20181215_201141_392.jpg
    IMG_20181215_201141_392.jpg
    998.5 KB · Views: 6
So vet said it may be Marek's! Another one of our chickens can't walk either. The others seem totally fine. The two unwell ones are inside now, in chicken slings . They're eating and drinking and seem pretty comfortable. Fingers crossed they recover!

Prayers. Yep with more than one likely Mareks. :fl

Back
Top Bottom