Pale Comb Hen Lethargic

So vet said it may be Marek's! Another one of our chickens can't walk either. The others seem totally fine. The two unwell ones are inside now, in chicken slings . They're eating and drinking and seem pretty comfortable. Fingers crossed they recover!
Are both Cornish X?
Can you post a photo of their legs/feet?
Did you every feel the abdomen for bloat/swelling?

In the photo both of them look wet? Are you bathing them?
While not walking can be Marek's, sadly with a breed like Cornish X leg deformities, ascites and heart/organ problems should also be considered.

The only way to get an official diagnosis of Marek's would be after one has died and further testing/necropsy is performed.

Are both Cornish X?
Can you post a photo of their legs/feet?
Did you every feel the abdomen for bloat/swelling?

In the photo both of them look wet? Are you bathing them?
While not walking can be Marek's, sadly with a breed like Cornish X leg deformities, ascites and heart/organ problems should also be considered.

The only way to get an official diagnosis of Marek's would be after one has died and further testing/necropsy is performed.
Yes, both Cornish. I asked her to consider Ascites and she checked for leg deformities . She thought it was neither. They were wet in the picture because they had just been bathed, since they were just being put into the slings and previously had been pooping and then sitting in it so, if course, I bathed them. But it was the first time for one and the second time for the other. I don't usually bathe my chickens, they know how to groom themselves!
They're both eating and drinking, so I'm still hopeful. The Roo has lost most of the use of his legs but is still very active otherwise. The hen is less active but eating a little and drinking and she has some use of her legs. Will try to take pics later. Thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your pullet.
I would not worry about the eating, she does need to stay hydrated. Check her crop first thing in the morning before she has had anything to eat/drink - it should be completely empty or flat.

The wheezing is concerning - it could be Ascites since she is an overweight CornishX, do you feel bloat/fluid in the abdomen? Crop issues can sometime cause a bit of wheezing as well, if she is laying down eating/drinking, she can easily aspirate food/water into her airway. Respiratory illness is also a possibility, but I would investigate other avenues if she does not have mucous or watery eyes.

Coccidiosis is something that I would also consider since she is new to you.

If you have photos of her and her poop that you would like to share, we will be happy to take a look.
They were tested and no coccoidosis. Phew! I'm glad to report that she stopped wheezing now. Whatever that was about has improved.

Back
Top Bottom