1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pale comb in white cochins

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NEK38583, Oct 5, 2008.

1. NEK38583

NEK38583 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Sparta, TN
    Is it normail for a white cochin hen to have a light comb. I know I have heard of illness that gives them a plae comd. I was just wondering if this is normail. I got her yesterday. I did not notice her comb being that pale until I got her home is that normail. I would appreciate any help anyone could give me. Thanks.

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Just noted no answer to this post. If still having problem you may want to repost and try to send a pic too.

3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    A photo would help. How old is she? If she is young, she may not have pinked up yet. Also, my hens get pale combs when they molt or are broody for long periods.

4. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    has she been laying?
    as "coffeemama" posted. she might not have darkened up yet.

she could have anemia from poor diet, and/or worms..
    check also for mites..including Scaley Leg..

describe the droppings..color and consistency..

do you have other chickens?

5. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    If you just got her, she could be nervous/distressed/in shock. Moving to a new location is traumatic for birds, and it may take a few days for her to settle down and return to normal. The info that other posters requested would indeed help figure out what is going on.

6. NEK38583

NEK38583 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Sparta, TN
    Thanks for all the help. She still looks about the same. She is a young hen. The woman I brought her from Saturday said she had just started to lay. I have got one egg from her so far. She has been eating and drinking water. Her comb is like a pink color a light pink. If you could give any help if would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by