Pale combs and no eggs

TAMMACLEAN

Songster
7 Years
Apr 1, 2012
Maine
I have a dozen hens and I'm only getting 2 eggs a day. Most days it's only 1. Sometimes I don't get any. They have a light that's only a timer and on during daylight hours. My concern is some of them have pale combs. Last year they were laying at least 4 or more eggs a day in the winter. They get fermented feed that is made with grower/finisher feed and BOSS. They get left overs as well. I think they are molting too. Any idea what else I can give them to help them?

I have a dozen hens and I'm only getting 2 eggs a day. Most days it's only 1. Sometimes I don't get any. They have a light that's only a timer and on during daylight hours. My concern is some of them have pale combs. Last year they were laying at least 4 or more eggs a day in the winter. They get fermented feed that is made with grower/finisher feed and BOSS. They get left overs as well. I think they are molting too. Any idea what else I can give them to help them?
Pale combs are a sign of anemia. Poor nutritive balance can cause it, in addition to other things. The diet you are feeding is improper for laying hens. Fermented feed, leftovers aren't very descriptive, but doesn't sound good. Internal parasites in the environment or excessive bacteria from fermentation or meat scraps could be a problem too. Change the diet to a good quality layer ration, cut out the left overs, worm them with Safeguard or Valbazen, use vitamin-mineral & probiotic dispersible powder in the waterers a couple days a week. Cut out the scraps and sunflower seeds. Check them for mites/lice too. When you worm them with either of what I recommended, do it once, then do it again 10 days after.

I have checked for mites and lice. That was the first thing I did. I don't give them meat scraps and I don't give them scraps every day. Just some days. They have been getting the same food for about a year. Nothing has changed as far as feeding them. I've never wormed them so I'm guessing that could be a problem. How long should should I worm them for and how long should I toss whatever eggs I do get?

I have checked for mites and lice. That was the first thing I did. I don't give them meat scraps and I don't give them scraps every day. Just some days. They have been getting the same food for about a year. Nothing has changed as far as feeding them. I've never wormed them so I'm guessing that could be a problem. How long should should I worm them for and how long should I toss whatever eggs I do get?
In addition you stated that you think they are molting. Birds in molt slow or completely stop laying eggs during molt. Not a good idea to worm them IF they are in molt. Molt is enough stress on their system without having to worm them.

Ok thanks. Any ideas on something to give them for some extra protein? Or maybe just some vitamins in the water? They are otherwise acting normal. Just a few of them are pale. I was thinking they were stressed. There's two roosters that have been fighting (one is leaving this weekend).

You can give them gamebird feed which has higher protein content. It will help with feather regrowth. Once your birds are refeathered, wean them off the gamebird feed back to regular layer feed. Pale combs can occur during molt.

Back
Top Bottom