Pale faced Polish

Oncoming Storm

Crowing
Jun 3, 2019
Yesterday, my mom noticed that my bantam polish wasn’t acting like herself. When looking at her today, her usually red colored wattles are now a fleshy pink. She’s spent most if not all of her day in the nesting box. She got up and walked around at the sound of food but sat back down not too long after. She hasn’t laid at all this winter after raising a clutch of chicks. Any clues that might be bothering her?

Have you checked for mites? They often cause anemia (a pale comb), lethargy, and keeps the hen from laying.
I’ve checked but seen no signs. I’m going to treat all three birds anyway. But she hasn’t been laying for like...five months...? Her baby just hit puberty so...she’s just decided to take the winter off I think.

Well if there are no mites, have you tried deworming her? That could be another common cause of anemia and a lack of laying.
So I haven’t had the chance to get some deworming stuff, but she’s acting pretty much normal. Her poop is a good consistency. It’s a little green but I think that’s just because she’s preferring grass to scratch right now. I’ve given her some red meat because I read that helps with anemia. Her colors looking a little better now and not so flesh colored. The other two birds are fine still. Could this issue be exacerbated by the fact that the weather here is going a little nuts with semi warm weather in the day and freezing weather at night?

Back
Top Bottom