Pale Faced Yellow Pooping Lethargic Rooster

I gave him Nutridrench and probiotics earlier just as a go-to sick bird action. I will also start the Corid in the morning. I’m not 100% sure my mother will even buy him the medicine if it’s expensive and has to be ordered. Depending on the price and ability for our vet to perform a fecal float test we will go to the vet Monday evening and see what’s going on. As for blackhead, until Monday we might just continue with the cayenne pepper and see how it goes. At least eggs are not being affected :bow:oops:

FYI - His temperature is normal for a rooster. My rooster has the same temperature 104.
His poops are improving, just monitor his progress. If he is eating, pooping, drinking water, he may have just had a minor infection that his body is fighting off. And remember, roosters don't drink as much water as hens do.

God Bless :)

FYI - His temperature is normal for a rooster. My rooster has the same temperature 104.
His poops are improving, just monitor his progress. If he is eating, pooping, drinking water, he may have just had a minor infection that his body is fighting off. And remember, roosters don't drink as much water as hens do.

God Bless :)
Okay good, thank you. Hopefully that’s all it was and it’ll pass soon. He is acting better this morning and is moving around a bit more. I might still treat with a small dose of Corid for a few days just to make sure since it can’t hurt. They have had coccidiosis before and my dog got it from them:oops: it was a mess.

Update!

My wonderful little rooster has been fine for the past two days, he’s been eating some cayenne peppers and drinking Corid water. However, this morning he got out of his coop and promptly laid down. My mom went back to check on him before we left and she tried to feed him more pepper but he did not get up. He reacted to her slightly, watching her and moving his head, and she said he didn’t seem as dazed as he has been but he still didn’t get up. We didn’t take him to a vet because my mother doesn’t think it is needed right now but does anybody have any advice?

Greetings Lifeiseasy,

I'm sorry your little rooster is still not doing well. His behavior is not normal, he needs veterinary help.

You say he is drinking. Is he eating feed? Is he pooping normally? What color is his comb and wattles?

:(

I will see if I can convince my mom to get him to a vet. Yesterday he was drinking and eating I don’t know about today. His poop is more solid than it was but still yellow. His comb and wattles are fine it’s just his face that gets pale every now and then.

A vet will be able to diagnose him better, as, he/she can do a physical exam, listen to the lungs and heart with a stethoscope, look in the throat, the vent etc. And if you can afford it, a blood test will give more accurate information. And they can provide the appropriate medicine to make him better, if you are in time.

I really don't like guessing about treatment. His illness seems to be stressing his liver, which indicates an infection of some sort, to me.

I don't want to worry you, I have seen this before...when a chicken goes pale in the face, comb or wattles, death can be eminent.

This is something you have to be prepared for. :confused:

A vet will be able to diagnose him better, as, he/she can do a physical exam, listen to the lungs and heart with a stethoscope, look in the throat, the vent etc. And if you can afford it, a blood test will give more accurate information. And they can provide the appropriate medicine to make him better, if you are in time.

I really don't like guessing about treatment. His illness seems to be stressing his liver, which indicates an infection of some sort, to me.

I don't want to worry you, I have seen this before...when a chicken goes pale in the face, comb or wattles, death can be eminent.

This is something you have to be prepared for. :confused:

We’re getting him into the vet tomorrow. Hopefully he’ll make it, he can barely walk at the moment but I got him to eat and drink a little bit, we also gave him an egg. We cancelled the Corid because of the decline and stuck him on vitamins again to hopefully sustain him a little better. His poop from this morning doesn’t look as yellow and is a bit more solid. I’ll update again soon.

I probably would have continued the Corid in case he has coccidiosis. It is not harmful or an antibiotic, and should be given for 5 days to 7 days. If you are not going to give it, then I would give him the Poultry NutriDrench vitamins daily. A small spoonful of plain yogurt mixed in his feed would give some probiotics.

Good to hear that you are seeing a vet, and hopefully they know something about chickens. At least you can get a sample of his droppings checked for worms, coccidia, and they also can do a gram stain for bacteria if you ask for it. That can look for bacterial enteritis.

I probably would have continued the Corid in case he has coccidiosis. It is not harmful or an antibiotic, and should be given for 5 days to 7 days. If you are not going to give it, then I would give him the Poultry NutriDrench vitamins daily. A small spoonful of plain yogurt mixed in his feed would give some probiotics.

Good to hear that you are seeing a vet, and hopefully they know something about chickens. At least you can get a sample of his droppings checked for worms, coccidia, and they also can do a gram stain for bacteria if you ask for it. That can look for bacterial enteritis.

We’re giving him water with Nutridrench and save-a-chick probiotics. We’re going to give him some yogurt soon we just have to go buy some. I dicontinued the Corid because I wanted him on the vitamins instead and knew the Thiamine in the Nutridrench would make the Corid not work like it should. Luckily the owner of the companion vet office that’s practically next to my house knows enough about chickens that he should be able to help. We also know of another person that could potentially help as well.

Back
Top Bottom