pale yolks

tuffy

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 2, 2009
Lake Luzerne, NY
Hi, I've had BYC for about 6 yrs now. They have always freeranged in the horse pasture during the day and been locked up at night. Always had very deep yellow, almost orange yolks. This yr for some unknown reason the yolks are very pale yellow. Always bought my 16% layer pellets at TSC. Only difference this yr is that the 2 horses are away for the summer(no fresh manure to scratch in). Any ideas why so pale? I have a mix of old and young. Also only getting 8 eggs a day fron 16 hens. Always had a much higher yield in the past. Does anyone think TSC changed their feed? I think everything else is exactly the same. Should I try another, Blueseal? Thanks~

Usually it's greens that cause the yolks to be dark. The beta carotene in them. Can you get some spinach or something and try feeding that and see what happens? Or a little alfalfa.

My hens have always eaten greens, grass etc all day while freeranging. I also feed them any leftovers we have from the house, all kinds of things. This has me really puzzled~

It almost HAS to be something related to feed. But what? I'm not sure.

I would try switching feed, slowly adding it in until the swap is complete. Wait a month after that to see if there is any change.

Also- are these all the same chickens? I have noticed that my Barred Rocks yolks are lighter than my Cochins. The BR's free range here, the Cochins don't.

ETA, I'm saying breed and age could also make a difference. I just didn't say it very clearly!
hmm.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. My chickens are of a few different breeds. BR,Buff Orps,red sex link, black osterlop(sp?)
They were all dark yolks before. I think I will try switching to a different feed gradually and continue to free range as usual. Who knows, maybe its the weather~ we've had so much rain and cold here in upstate NY this spring. I'm eagerly awaiting summer like everyone else around here!

The corn in the horse manure... If there was corn in the manure corn can change the color of your yolks....

Chris

again, thanks for the suggestion. We only grain the horses in the winter and at that time the chickens don't free range, they don't like to get their feet in the snow, such wimps!

I am thinking your feed could have a higher percentage of soy now OR the old feed had animal protein and now it is just soy.

I so want duck feed without that garbage but I can't find any
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom