1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Paling Comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Heidi, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I have a 1 1/2 year old EE hen that comb isn't staying red. She's been acting a bit strange for 3 months now. She quit laying for about 2 months which is normal (molting). Then her comb got red and she started laying, but it pales throughout the day. One minute it will be bright red and then the next pale. This goes on all day. She's laying 2 eggs then takes a day off and this is normal for her. She also had some kind of a cold/resp. issue for 3 days, but that seems to have cleared up and that was 2 weeks ago before she started laying again. Do you think maybe this has to do w/ her comb changing colors all day long?

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I know they can control the amount of blood going into the their combs due to stress, heat or agression.

If she seems OK otherwise I'd not worry too much, but someone else may have more info for you.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I was wondering about heat too, wondering if that's one of the ways they can keep themselves cool, by regulating how much bloodflow is going through the comb? Very interesting, indeed. I have to say, I haven't noticed that in any of mine, but then, mine have very small combs, and I'm obviously not as observant as you, Heidi!! [​IMG] Hope she does okay - she's a sweet girl, and PRETTY, too!

4. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I was curious too. My hen ming ming is on the mend from something that ailed her. She was weak, lethargic, etc. She seems better now, but her combs are still quite pale in comparison to the others. Poo is getting back to normal and she's eating. I'm leaving on vacation Friday and I was really hoping she's show me she's 100%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by