Pallet Coop (pic heavy)

spotsychick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 15, 2014
Virginia
When I bought my house, I knew I was going to have chickens. My original plan was to build a coop and then get the chickens to fill it..... That's not how it happened. I picked up 6 week old chicks from the agricultural fair the beginning of August and started planning my coop the next day.

I researched several pre-fab coops, but taking cost and the slope of my yard into consideration, I decided to build my own. I had been given 40 heat treated pallets from a friend and decided they would do the trick. I did have to buy some 4x4's, 2x4's, plywood, and of course nails, screws, and hardware, but when it was all said and done, I had a 4'x6' coop and the material for a 12'x6' run for just a tad over $200.

I chronicled the build since I did it by myself (minus my 12 year old son helping with the base). It took me just over 6 weeks to complete, but I'm a single mom and night shift nurse, so my free time is limited.

I did end up taking off the "roof" of the egg box and installed 3 of the little giant plastic boxes. I also poured about an inch of concrete in the bottom before putting down the bedding to make sure the bottom doesn't rot out.

All in all, I'm very proud of my little coop. Would I ever use pallets again? Absolutely not! But it worked for this project and the end result fits in with the rest of the rustic decor in my yard.

The front window is a basement window that I picked up from a place that sells old windows and doors that have been replaced with newer ones. I got it for $25! For the windows, side door, and the egg door I just framed out the size I needed then used a jigsaw to cut out the planks in the middle. A jigsaw and a cordless drill are the only power tools I used for this (since they're the only ones I have, lol).

Back
Top Bottom