Pallet Coop Progress!

megoony

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 14, 2012
Starting to look like a coop now! This is my 5.5' x 3.5' recycled wood pallet coop. So far the running total is $25, and about 90% of the materials were free or re-used. I finally have all four walls up, a frame for the roof, doors installed, and am almost finished building the exterior nest box! There hasn't really been a plan so far . . I've kind of just been putting it together as I go, seeing as all of my pallets seem to be different sizes- hopefully it'll all work out- it's already turned out better than I envisioned, as I have never built anything in my life! Woohoo, lets see if I can get it finished by the end of the week!

exterior nestbox in progress, hoping to have a hinged roof

front

other side, door #2

frame for roof- hubby got this entire piece free, and its the perfect size for the roof if I can get it up there!

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif

I expanded my silkie coop I built out of pallets last year, to house the new chicks I got this year. I am also thinking of building a covered shelter out of a pallet for the upcoming hot summer.

New progress today! Added the finished exterior nestbox, and will probably try to install the roof this evening!

Todays progress! Covered most of the walls with OSB, covered the roof with OSB and primed it (The prime is just to seal it for a week or two until I buy the corrugated tin for the roofing). The hinges have been installed for the nestbox lid- now I just need to figure out a locking mechanism. Tomorrow I will fill in the last gaps with OSB, add another coat of prime to the roof, and then prime the whole coop! It's not the prettiest coop in the world, but I'm hoping that after a few good coats of prime and paint I can at least make it look cute!

We are working on making ours from pallets too. I am a little overwhelmed, but I finally decided to stop pulling them apart and just use them as in. Great looking coop!

Almost finished! I still have to secure the roof somehow, and cover some of the gaps with wood/chicken wire. Here it is with the first coat of primer :) I can't decide what color to paint it though- I'm thinking either blue or yellow. Running total is $50- already had the paint and most of the hardware.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom