Pallet coop time!

Wxguru

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 2, 2014
ARKANSAS
In the very initial stages of working on a pallet coop. Want to use as much recycle as I can. I ended up putting a 48"x48" pallet and a 48"x40" pallet together to make basically a 4'x7'4" coop. Coop itself is going to have a 3' high wall at the back and a 4' high wall at the front. I am going to have 6 hens (they arrive halloween!)....so I think they have PLENTY of room (they will be outside in a 8'x7' run during the day).
Biggest question I want to try and get answered.....I would like to allow the hens some room outside under the coop, and maybe put their dustbath under it or even the feeder/waterer. How much "headroom" will a grown hen need to safely be under a coop? 12", 18", 2' or what? 4' of the run will be covered, so if it has to be raised too high, then I won't be using the under coop area. I am in an area that allows chickens in the city, but covenants for the neighborhood don't allow (I have the blessing of all of my neighbors already), So I am wanting to keep the entire thing below fence line.
So what say you chicken experts? :)

No expert here but I left 17" under the coop I am building and my chickens have been spending some time under it already. That's to the bottom of the framing so they have an added 6" in between.

I have started laying the foundation for the pallet coop. I have a sloped yard, approximately 6.5" over a 4FT span, so I am doing some digging and leveling of the foundation first before building on it. Backyard is looking like a pallet yard so far.

Here is a pic of pallet nation....the cedar 4'x38" boxes are all part of an upcoming garden. I am going to have 2 12' rows for the spring.\

Got the 4 corners level. Just the middle supports left. Notice the pallet in middle with double opening. Already a perfect nest box opening complete with overhang. These came from a electricians company.

Got some siding cut out of the pallets too. Still need more to complete the exterior though.

Will end up staining this entire thing to waterproof it to a degree. The pallets that are being used as walls are 44"x48" which is perfect. I have a 48x88" base. They square up nicely all the way around. Finishing out the leveling today, then securing the base hopefully today or tomorrow. The work continues! :)

Almost have the floor completely framed. That is Hamer (pronounced Hammer...rescue border collie) our inspector making sure it is up to code. So far he hasn't given us a citation. Once the floor is finished out, we will start to finally go vertical. This floor will have a 3/4" OSB sheet on top of it.

Last edited:
Almost have the floor completely framed. That is Hamer (pronounced Hammer...rescue border collie) our inspector making sure it is up to code. So far he hasn't given us a citation. Once the floor is finished out, we will start to finally go vertical. This floor will have a 3/4" OSB sheet on top of it.

It's looking good. I know that OSB is less expensive than plywood, but plywood would be more moisture resistant. With the excellent subfloor you have, I think 1/2" plywood would work.

But, maybe you are planning some sort of waterproof floor covering over the OSB? Anyway, good luck!

Last edited:
For the floor OSB I am going to coat the underside with a sealer so any moisture out of the soil will be snuffed....hopefully! Interior will stay dry of course, so not going to treat that side of it :) I have thought about plywood, but simply for cost going to go with OSB.

I love it when the current animals get involved on these projects!

How will you access the coop to clean? We used an old playhouse set upon on concrete pad as our coop. The walls inside are plywood. I painted them with outdoor glossy paint I got free from a neighbor that overbought for his project. That finish has been a godsend as it it easy to scrub down and sanitize when necessary.
If using wood as the floor of your coop, you may want to consider putting down a scrap of linoleum sheet goods over it. I used it in a 4x6 grow out pen and it, like the painted coop walls, saved a lot of time and effort when it came time to clean and sanitize. I use a deep litter method in the brooder and coop and only have to do a deep clean twice a year in the coop (more often in the brooder/grow out pen). Will have to increase the frequency as our flock grows, but it's relatively painless.
It looks like you're off to a great start. Sure wish I had your skills when I started my chicken keeping; it would've saved me much $$ and frustration!
Best of luck to you. Enjoy!

Both ends are going to have doors of approximately 36"x30" I believe. So I should have some room there. I am going with plywood walls on the inside as well, and I might do a finish on the floor. Only reason I am kind of reserved on linoleum, is if I get it down wrong and it isn't sealed right, then water will get under and become an issue when I clean out the coop. I will continue to mull that over.
On your deep litter method, how deep is it, and what materials are you using?

Back
Top Bottom